Back to: Harry Potter » Accidentally In Love
Reviews (17)
Normal Format

Accidentally In Love

By Anne B. Walsh

Author Notes:

Characters by JKR, song by Counting Crows. I also disclaim the possibility/non-possibility of this actually happening in Dangerverse. It's fun to think about, so I wrote it. Whether or not it will really happen is not the point!

Pings, twangs, and other semi-musical noises drifted out from behind the closed curtains, mingling with the noise of the chattering crowd gathered in the Great Hall of Hogwarts for the most special event in a long time.   Harry Potter, Savior of the Wizarding World, Defeater of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, had just broken the hearts of most of the eligible witches in Britain, and quite a few who technically weren’t, by wedding his beloved Ginevra Weasley.

The bride and groom stood at the edge of the dance floor, ready to begin their first dance together.   "What are we waiting for?" Ginny asked Harry in a whisper.  

"Not sure.   Something your brother and my brother cooked up together.   They called it a wedding present from the rest of the Pride."  

The curtains swished open.

"I think they’re just being cheap," Ginny muttered.

"Ladies and gentlemen," announced Draco Black into his wand.   "Our musical tribute to the bride and groom—to remind them that not everyone has forgotten how they got together."   Amid genteel laughter, he stepped back and nodded to Ron.  

The red-haired boy clicked his drumsticks together, giving the count in a low voice, then pounded three times hard on one of his drums before hitting another drum and the cymbals.   Simultaneously, the rest of the band began to play.  

Neville’s father had fulfilled his son’s ambition to learn to play the guitar, and Neville had taught Meghan.   It had been Meghan who had discovered the magical attachment that allowed an acoustic guitar to sound electric and amplified it accordingly.   The Pride’s eardrums had never been the same.  

Luna stood behind a traditional upright piano, and Hermione behind a magical synthesizer that would take the place of the bass guitar.   All of them, including Draco, were grinning like kneazles with Snidgets, and the Muggle-exposed portion of the audience was starting to laugh as they recognized the song.   Harry and Ginny glared at them for a moment, then took dancing position as the band reached the end of the intro.  

Ron pounded his drums again, and Draco began to sing.  

So she said what’s the problem baby
What’s the problem I don’t know
Well maybe I’m in love

The whole Pride chimed in.

Love

Draco took over again.  

Think about it every time
I think about it
Can't stop thinking ‘bout it

Harry and Ginny moved across the dance floor in sync, executing moves that made many members of the audience gasp and stare.   No one doubted any longer why Ginny had worn a simple wedding gown, one without a train, or why Harry’s robes were divided.  

How much longer will it take to cure this
Just to cure it cause I can’t ignore it if it’s love

Neville and Meghan leaned into the same magical microphone for the word.

Love

Ron sang it directly at Hermione.  

Makes me wanna turn around and face me but I don’t know nothing ‘bout love, uh-huh

Harry dipped Ginny on the "uh-huh".  

Come on, come on
Turn a little faster

The dancers obeyed.  

Come on, come on
The world will follow after

Draco was next to Luna, holding his wand where she could sing into it too.  

Come on, come on
Because everybody’s after love

Neville and Meghan were practically dancing themselves as they leaned into the microphone again for the long-held last word of the chorus.   Ron tapped his cymbals three times, winking at Hermione in rhythm.  

So I said I’m a snowball running
Running down into the spring that’s coming all this love

Harry spun Ginny smoothly out and in again, never breaking step.  

Melting under blue skies
Belting out

The entire Pride crooned it.  

Sunlight shimmering love

Luna’s and Hermione’s hands danced over their keyboards.  

Well baby I surrender
To the

Luna leaned in to sing with Draco.  

Strawberry ice cream
Never ever end of all this love

Draco shook his head, looking innocent.  

Well I didn’t mean to do it
But there’s no escaping your love, uh-huh

Fire suddenly encircled the dancers, sparks flashing from their every movement, flames joining their hands as they parted and clasped again.

These lines of lightning
Mean we’re never alone,
Never alone, no, no

The musicians upped the tempo ever so slightly as they swung into the second chorus.  

Come on, come on
Move a little closer

It didn’t seem possible, but Harry and Ginny did it.

Come on, come on
I want to hear you whisper

Draco grinned at Luna.

Come on, come on
Settle down inside my love, uh-huh

Ron hammered on the drums.  

Come on, come on
Jump a little higher

Harry lifted Ginny high into the air and set her down again as if she weighed nothing.  

Come on, come on
If you feel a little lighter

The guitarists’ hands were blurred from their speed on the strings.  

Come on, come on
We were once
Upon a time in love

The music paused on a loud drumbeat.   Draco sang into the silence.  

We’re accidentally in love

Harry and Ginny were standing toe to toe, revolving slowly, their eyes locked.

Accidentally in love

Neville and Meghan played background chords as Luna riffed up and down the piano.  

Accidentally in love

Hermione lifted a hand off the keyboard to signal to Ron, nearly making him lose the beat.  

Accidentally in love

The guitars came back in at full volume, the guitarists moving around each other in a dance of their own.  

Accidentally in love

Draco took the wand away from his mouth for a second so that his laugh wouldn’t get amplified.

Accidentally in love

He’d caught Hermione’s message to Ron.   It was "Next time, our turn."

Accidentally in love

"Ron’s not really ready for this, is he?" Luna asked, keeping her voice below the threshold Draco’s wand would pick up.  

Accidentally in love

Draco shook his head slightly as he sang.  

Accidentally

Harry lowered his head and kissed Ginny, still rotating in place.   The wedding guests cheered.  

I’m in love, I’m in love,  
I’m in love, I’m in love,
I’m in love, I’m in love,
Accidentally

They showed no signs of breaking it off.   The cheers were turning to hoots.  

I’m in love, I’m in love,  
I’m in love, I’m in love,
I’m in love, I’m in love,
Accidentally

By some chemistry known only to themselves, Ginny and Harry managed to go from full-on snogging to all-out dancing in as much time as it took Draco to get a breath for the last chorus.  

Come on, come on
Spin a little tighter

Ginny whirled out and back into Harry’s arms.  

Come on, come on
And the world’s a little brighter

Fire surrounded them totally now, silhouetting them in brilliance.

Come on, come on
Just get yourself inside her

Each musician looked at a certain person to sing the word.  

Love...

Draco extended his hand to the newlyweds.  

They’re in love

Perhaps it wasn’t the official ending of the song, but it sufficed.   The wedding guests applauded madly and cheered, and many of them started getting up and choosing partners.   There were shouted song requests.   Harry looked at Ginny, then up at the stage, and his hands moved.   Draco gulped as he caught the full impact of his brother’s message.

"What did he say?" Luna asked.  

"Edited for mixed company... watch out."

The wedding of Harry and Ginny Potter would be certainly remembered for a very long time.