Content Harry Potter Miscellaneous

Reviews

ginny690901 posted a comment on Wednesday 8th June 2011 8:11am for Chapter 5: Newcomers and Negotiations (Year 5)

Concerning "jumping the broom" take a look at
'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_broom'...
So much for it migrating from America to England ;)
Otherwise: I don't think much to say about the quality of the story considering how far I've come in your Dannger'verse...

Anne B. Walsh replied:

You don't think much to say? Does that mean you like it or you hate it and yourself so you're torturing yourself by reading it? Judging by my level of not-smart with that author's note I'd guess column B...

m4rk6 posted a comment on Saturday 7th July 2007 5:37am for Chapter 5: Newcomers and Negotiations (Year 5)

Just wondering, why didn't / haven't they used a pensieve to watch Harry's 'dream' about the spy?

Chandra posted a comment on Wednesday 27th September 2006 7:12am for Chapter 5: Newcomers and Negotiations (Year 5)

Hey!
I've been reading your Danger Verse stories for a while now and just decided to send you a review to say how much a like this story! It is really rare that I like stories with so important OC and you have got me hanging at your every word! I adore you plots and ideas and story development and can't wait to see how all this will end!
Hm..the only thing I did not like very much was the idea of Remus adopting Harry. For some reason I always saw harry as being more lined to Sirius than Remus. (Maybe it would even be funny for Snape to adopt him..but i'm not sure..)

Anyway, great work!
Chandra

Ivy_Snowe posted a comment on Tuesday 26th September 2006 1:51pm for Chapter 5: Newcomers and Negotiations (Year 5)

I loved that line about 'Jumping the Broom'. I had thought it sounded familiar when I read it and then your explanation in the A/N made me say 'duh'. All and all it was a great chapter. Corona has a new friend in Brian Li. Who I'm personally interested. I have a thing for asian guys, and the fact that he's a werewolf made it better for me. Harry's imagination is pretty good, but I wasn't shocked or grossed out because I gave him a good imagination too in one of my fics. I'm looking forward to more. Oh! My mom bought me my own copy of 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' today and I cracked up when I was watching it, imagining the Pride playing all the parts. Cheers!

~Ivy

MonkeyAxman1302 posted a comment on Monday 25th September 2006 9:08am for Chapter 5: Newcomers and Negotiations (Year 5)

You rarely let you standards drop and this chapter is good, but I think things need to happen soon.

Please keep writing, the story is so good!

Monkey

Ishtar posted a comment on Monday 25th September 2006 5:53am for Chapter 5: Newcomers and Negotiations (Year 5)

Jumping the Broom is common to both African and European traditions; there are both Scots and Welsh versions dating back to when church marriages were for the wealthy only and the common people's celebrations were simpler - like "marrying over the anvil" in Scotland. Jumping the Broom has been absorbed into neo-pagan ritual also; I jumped one with my ex-husband (and I kept the broom all the time we were married and burned it ritually when we divorced). It's perfectly logical that the house-elves would keep the tradition.

Erik Wiggins posted a comment on Monday 25th September 2006 4:56am for Chapter 5: Newcomers and Negotiations (Year 5)

I just wanted you to know how pleased I am that I received an e-mail letting me know about your work. I am reading all of your "Danger" stories and just love the "Pack". I am trying to get work done but I find myself not wanting to do anything except read all of your stories and get caught up! Thank you for many enjoyable hours and just knowing I have a few more stories to read, makes me extremely happy. My 17 year old son is saying he is starting to feel neglected!

MercuryBlue posted a comment on Sunday 24th September 2006 3:05pm for Chapter 5: Newcomers and Negotiations (Year 5)

So we can safely assume that our mysterious spy was neither among the group that came for Harry, nor present when Hermione pointed out the overlap in ward construction, correct?

kendiara posted a comment on Sunday 24th September 2006 2:48pm for Chapter 5: Newcomers and Negotiations (Year 5)

Whee thanks for making my weekend :)

Thank you for another great chapter, Harry has a really good imagination...as good as Molly's it would seem. Though I wish I knew why Albus was so insistent on this blood bond, there just seems to be so many bad and not a lot of good...but that's just me.

Hehe why do I think Aletha was tempting fate with that curse...

Rebel Goddess posted a comment on Sunday 24th September 2006 8:26am for Chapter 5: Newcomers and Negotiations (Year 5)

Jumping the broom is also done in Scotland (or it was), so it's perfectly possible for them to know it. This is so good. I can't wait for more. Excellent chapter.

Matthew4 posted a comment on Sunday 24th September 2006 5:45am for Chapter 5: Newcomers and Negotiations (Year 5)

Very good job with making Ginny more of a presence around Harry. I like the simple conversation they had after the Stinksap event, and the imagining of her by herself. Well done and I look forward to the next chapter.

Quizer posted a comment on Sunday 24th September 2006 4:13am for Chapter 5: Newcomers and Negotiations (Year 5)

I think its time for another review from me. In the recent chapters, reading this story has become less depressing and more refreshing again, although I still have my issues with it.
Introducing Corona was a nice touch which I thoroughly enjoyed. New characters bring fresh air into the story, which I think it desperately needs right now as not to suffocate in angst.
I also think you're laying it on quite thick with Harry's ignorance concerning Ginny. I realize it takes people different amounts of time until it clicks with them and they notice people of the other gender, and I know its difficult since events leave Harry little time to think much about his social life, but I like to think that boys in general and Harry in particular are not as thick as to completely miss a hint as blunt as the one Ginny dropped earlier.
Ginny is an entirely different matter. She, like the rest of the pride, knows Harry has the most difficult lot of all of them. I believe she has no business dropping off subtle hints (and admittedly not-so-subtle ones) and getting angry when Harry fails to catch up on them. What is keeping her from coming out and saying she likes him? She has the guts to do it, doesn't she? If not, I understand, but if Harry doesn't catch her hints, she has to step up and increase the ante instead of moaning about it.

Whatever, I'm hoping that once we reach Hogwarts, the trend of drawn-out canon-parallel depression ruling Harry's life (at least recently) is broken. If Harry decides to be a wuss in this story, too, and take Umbridge's abuse lying down, this story is going to fall quite far in my estimation.

I appreciate the reassuring words in the Author's Notes telling us that Harry morbid fantasies won't play out as they do in his mind. I still entertain hope that this won't turn into a angst-fest mirror-image of book five that is little better than the original, albeit with neat support characters. Please don't crush it.

I'm sorry, this doesn't sound like I like your story very much, which isn't really true. I just think it could be so much better if Harry and the people around him received a proper morale boost, if something actually worked for them instead of against them, breaking out of the path this is starting to go down.

until next chapter, or something like that

Quizer

Patches posted a comment on Saturday 23rd September 2006 8:20pm for Chapter 5: Newcomers and Negotiations (Year 5)

Thanks for writing so soon. This is a good chapter. Things are building up and some things are going to be hard to take but I hope that it will work out for the best for the Pack, Pride and their friends in the end. Please update as promptly as you did this time. I love quick updates and I appreciate the effort it takes on your part to write so much in so little time. pms

Evan Mayerle posted a comment on Saturday 23rd September 2006 8:17pm for Chapter 5: Newcomers and Negotiations (Year 5)

Interesting - I loved the use of that custom. But, really, inflicting Kreacher on Hogwarts? That's clearly in violation of several international treaties. :D

Lostchyld posted a comment on Saturday 23rd September 2006 5:51pm for Chapter 5: Newcomers and Negotiations (Year 5)

Why don't you pretend the houselves thought of jumping the broom first and it migrated to the slave population of the American South? Just for fun, can you write a ficlet with Neenie explaining that history??

Great chapter.

Cheers.

-Lostchyld

karina82 posted a comment on Saturday 23rd September 2006 3:15pm for Chapter 5: Newcomers and Negotiations (Year 5)

cool dobby and winky are hitched. glad to see neville using his plant on the tapestry.

poor harry his imagination can get so morbid at times.

Ken Warner posted a comment on Saturday 23rd September 2006 3:04pm for Chapter 5: Newcomers and Negotiations (Year 5)

very nice chapter - I had thought that jumping the broom was some variation of Heinlein's jumping the sword - from Glory Road - but he probably had the same root you do.
Please please don't do the bond - too terrible - especially if Dd is pushing it.

Anne B. Walsh replied:

Especially if Dumbledore is pushing it? Do you think he has bad intentions?

Gardengirl posted a comment on Saturday 23rd September 2006 2:37pm for Chapter 5: Newcomers and Negotiations (Year 5)

Cheers! This was the perfect end to a very nice day. Sleep well, and write much, Michelle