Content Harry Potter Miscellaneous

Reviews

star22 posted a comment on Sunday 10th July 2011 7:41pm

I've been trying to think of how to word this review. You are one of my favorite fanfic authors. Your AU is fascinating. It fits right in with the Harry Potter canon world and yet is different enough that every time you add a chapter it is a surprise. Your OCs fit right in alongside the canon characters we have come to love, and you've gotten the personalities of the canon characters down pat.

This chapter, though, is somewhat problematic. First off, making Victor a death eater is rather OOC. In an AU you can run with the characters and make things different, but you are still constrained by the characterizations of canon or you end up with characters who are themselves in name only. And the Victor we have in canon would not ever become a death eater. And the thing is, I don't even understand why you felt the need to make him one here. He isn't competition getting in the way of Ron and Hermione. Hermione no longer has feelings for him, and she is now with Ron.

What bothered me even more, though, was Ron's punishment. First off, attractiveness is subjective. There isn't anyone who is inherently more beautiful than anyone else. And the Victor we have in canon is someone who is attracted to people who aren't stereotypically beautiful and someone who cares for far more than a person's looks. But even beyond that, it is actually offensive to suggest that being attracted to someone who is stereotypically unattractive is a punishment.

I'm still excited about Surpassing Danger, and your fics are still among my favorites, but this chapter disappointed me quite a bit.

Anne B. Walsh replied:

Sorry that you didn't care for it, but this is how the story insisted on being written in this particular detail. (I never liked Krum, and always thought he was a bit pointless, so I guess this is how my weird brain makes him actually mean something.) As for attraction, I didn't mean to offend -- I was just trying to be bawdy with the inversion of abilities and desires, not to say that desires themselves will be altered. Hope I can do better next time.

Hot48cricket posted a comment on Sunday 10th July 2011 4:00pm

Congratulations on doing something you love full time!!!!

Hope you have a wonderful couple weeks off and look forward to Surpassing Danger....

Anne B. Walsh replied:

Yeah, now I just have to make it work!

Anansii posted a comment on Sunday 10th July 2011 2:50pm

Assuming the class of folks Viktor is not attracted to includes all other guys as well, I suspect he may wind up an anchorite. (I can see it all now - the seeker finally crawls to the little cave in the highest peak and has the wisdom revealed to him "Don't Annoy The Pack"... :)

Anyway, dang tooting the story ain't over yet. At the least after all that stuff with Draco, Lucius, Luna and the Phantom references you kept bugging us with earlier you'd better take THAT pistol down off the mantlepiece.

And good luck with the writing career!

Anne B. Walsh replied:

It wears off after a while, but he doesn't know that yet. Heck with pistols, my mantelpiece has a flipping cannon at this point!

daysoftheweek posted a comment on Sunday 10th July 2011 2:31pm

Lovely ending. I've been following your work since I first stumbled upon LwoD on FF.net and quickly realized that I should definitely go back and start at the beginning. Also, I feel like I missed something with Hermione's line "Ron, I know now, I know who it was in January". Can you tell me (or point me in the right direction to figure out) what she's talking about?

Best of luck in your full-time writing adventures!

Anne B. Walsh replied:

Start with Chapter 30 for the story of what happened to Hermione and the other girls over Christmas vacation...

BarnabusIII posted a comment on Sunday 10th July 2011 1:45pm

Congrats on your decision! Best of luck and I'll be looking forward to that first novel!

Anne B. Walsh replied:

I shall be working on it as fast as possible!

LeprechaunJV posted a comment on Sunday 10th July 2011 1:10pm

Excellent Chapter....... Beautiful ending. Well Danger is a mother to them...

Anne B. Walsh replied:

Aww, thanks. Yes, she certainly is.

LoneWolfe posted a comment on Sunday 10th July 2011 12:52pm

There are times I look back, and can't believe I've been following this series since LwD was posting. I still think it's brilliant, and I love every moment of it, as does my mother. I know I'm not always the best or most consistent reviewer, but I have read and reread the main DV quite often.

Anyway, I think your news is great, and despite the fact that I am a poor grad student, I will happily buy your work, whenever that happens to be. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in Surpassing Danger, and I love the way you've ended FD. I can't rave enough about it... and I can't wait to go home in August and bring this last chapter to my internet-illiterate, 65 year old mother. She's going to squee, I just know it.

Anne B. Walsh replied:

Having been a poor grad student myself, I plan to price my work very affordably. Think you can handle $3? And glad your mom likes it too -- it is my goal to have something for just about everybody in my stories.

Carolyn Jinn posted a comment on Sunday 10th July 2011 6:11am

I am glad that Peter and Evenie are closer. He does deserve a bit of Love. It may help him in the long run.

I hope what Letha has done to Ron's eyes helps him, permantly.

Victor being dark....That is a possibilty. But lets hope he was imperilised!!!

I am another reader who does not have a facebook account. Please don't leave us waiting too long without finding out what this semi-secret project is, Please Please Please.......

Carolyn Jinn posted a comment on Sunday 10th July 2011 3:11am

I love to see your updates. However regular you post is quite fine by me.

I loved the way the pride helped in the fight with the giants. It made them feel part of the battle, and, eventually (for lack of a better word), the war.

Lethas return is most welcome. Sirius, will finally, start feeling 'normal', hopefully. (*Pranks, and abit of laughter is always welcome*)(The last few chapters have been a bit heavy.)

carolebear posted a comment on Wednesday 6th July 2011 10:59pm

Erika, if you reread the reviews and see this, Anne is planning on quitting her job to write full time! Not all Dangerverse (unfortunately for us), but she will have her creative juices flowing, which can only help the DV Muse.

I am so proud of Peter! He never would have been able to stand up to the Lestrange brothers if he didn’t love Evanie as much as he does. And now he knows that Evanie loves him just as much. I still pity Peter though, trapped, with no way out. Perhaps after the war…

Along with the fact that Ron did do something very heroic (and very stupid) in rescuing three people, before he was cursed, I’m glad that Aletha finally is getting to the root of the emotional problem. And possibly to fix the physical one. Did she give him hawk eyes? Is that how he will be able to see? I’m guessing he can see, since he is turning into a hawk and heading out to save Hermoine from Victor. Dammit, it wasn’t until my rereading the last three chapters today that I figured out that he was the one who hurt her. Did he truly turn Dark, or is he Imperiused?

So sad that this arc is ending. And yes, there are plenty of plots dangling, but I think they were left that way on purpose, unfortunately for us. Is it really almost September again? Well, we’ve had Ginny’s birthday (mid August), so I guess so. *sigh* I understand that you need time away from all this drama before you begin Surpassing Danger, so I will try to contain my impatience. It’s going to be really hard, though. And just so you know, I am thinking really hard about the Author’s Tips that Krystal is posting on Facebook, but I haven’t put any of the clues together yet. I feel like a failure…

carolebear posted a comment on Wednesday 6th July 2011 10:16pm

The spell that hit Corona has me worried. Could that be a way for the Death Eaters to get around the Fidelius? Or is it just for Corona and/or Brian? And what was Elladora doing there at a Death Eater attack? Loved the way the cubs made a significant contribution to the battle. I’m sure they saved lives and prevented injuries by being the "eyes in the sky." Remus makes a relay good leader, just as he is the best Alpha for the Pack. It was really cool the way Remus and Danger modified the Zippos to help them all communicate. And I’m even grateful for Aletha/Mare’s restoration of the tapestry, and her choice to embrace all the pieces of her. I think that is the only way she could ever be truly happy.

carolebear posted a comment on Wednesday 6th July 2011 9:43pm

Well, guess I can't criticize you for any delays in posting Chapter, considering that this review is almost a month late. It was only on my fourth (or was it fifth?) reread of this chapter that I realized that Selena had her baby. Duh! And it wasn’t even just a passing reference; they had a picture and everything! So, I know there is supposed to be a hidden meaning in the name "Pepper Pot," but damn if I can figure it out (Google Search didn’t help much, since I don’t think it has anything to do with a recipe). The only think I can think of is Harry Potter, which is very obvious, perhaps too much so. Glad to see Brian and Corona doing good things in the war, but sorry they were injured. Corona is such a gem, especially compared to the rest of her family. Oh, and I thought this chapter had false advertising about learning who hurt Hermoine, but I guess it’s staring us right in the face. She must have blocked it out of her conscious mind, but her subconscious is protesting. On to the next!

Anansii posted a comment on Wednesday 6th July 2011 12:56am

Well good for Peter and Evanie - but I hope they get out of there soon. The situation is deteriorating...

And Go Ron!!!

Erika Shulkusky posted a comment on Tuesday 5th July 2011 2:29pm

Well, I guess we will see about the dangling plots when you do the next chapter... in the meantime, here are my questions: Did muggles actually see the giants and what havoc did they wreak on London? What exactly did Aletha do to Ron that made him able to function and assume his animagus form again???? What's happening with the rest of the Pack and Pride?? What is the status of the Sanctuary??? I am assuming all of this and more will be answered in the last chapter and new book, which I am as eager to read as I have been with your other Potter books. Are you anticipating the movie release as much as I am?? I already have my tickets.

As always, I enjoyed this chapter, well done! This cliffie is a doozy to be sure. I am sorry I don't do Facebook- one of these days I may break down and join...but for now, pretty please, what is your semi-secret project? I promise I won't tell.... :-)

Erika

buffarama posted a comment on Monday 4th July 2011 2:26pm

eeeeeee! - for the happy and the anxious and the sad and the cliffie!

LeprechaunJV posted a comment on Monday 4th July 2011 11:56am

Drat a cliffy ending to the chapter...........

callie posted a comment on Monday 4th July 2011 9:11am

thank you sooo much for this chapter today it's exactly what i needed (lets just say my exam results werent expected)

great chapter as always... would like to know more about how aletha helped ron... and if that was really krum (which i am doubting)
im pleased that wormtail has agreed with evanie... i always thought they were a cute couple!

as always can't wait until the next chapter (im going to need a study break)

MercuryBlue posted a comment on Monday 4th July 2011 7:48am

So what did Aletha do to Ron? Something to enhance his hearing?

Dangams posted a comment on Monday 4th July 2011 6:55am

This was an awesome chapter. What exactly did Aletha do to Ron's eyes? Also, yay for Ron jumping out of the window. Twas amusing.
And, aww, Peter is regaining his humanity, bit by bit, thanks to the stubbornness of Evanie.
Can't wait to see more!

MercuryBlue posted a comment on Wednesday 29th June 2011 9:32pm

WHEE KAMIKAZE REREAD FINISHED. Now to start on the other stories...