Content Harry Potter Miscellaneous

Reviews

Strophe posted a comment on Wednesday 12th February 2014 4:17pm for Chapter 4: Tamer

Hi again,

There is so, so much to say about this chapter. I love the concept of the Diagon Alley post-office. It is the first of so many ways you show you've put real thought into the way Jo's world could really work. In all honesty, I think you've fleshed it out much more than she did (at least that she told us - she could always have more ideas that didn't make it into the books). But I do love the idea that you could rent an owl. It's almost like paying postage. And I always chuckle at the brief thought that Letha might have moved to America with her aunt, and Remus having to face an irate postmaster when his owl goes on a very long journey.

As to the dream - today it mostly made me sad, because there were no blonde heads there. I could have sworn that Draco and Meghan were there too, with Luna and Neville, but I guess I was wrong? Or maybe that was some other dream. I'm not 100% caught up to where the DV is in realtime, but I don't think Draco can be there. And now this is a litle sad.

On to the next one!

The Imaginatrix posted a comment on Saturday 8th February 2014 10:11am for Chapter 4: Tamer

Werewolf. Taming.

Dream wedding with both Pack and Pride.

This chapter is full of win. :D

Jason9 posted a comment on Friday 18th October 2013 7:40pm for Chapter 4: Tamer

I remembered! I love this story - it has such good balance, and is always a fun read.

Ali posted a comment on Monday 2nd January 2012 9:02pm for Chapter 4: Tamer

This could easily be such a cheesy plot twist, with the dreams and the werewolf taming, but the way you've written it, it's completely believable. You have a real talent for writing.

Wolf550e posted a comment on Saturday 1st May 2010 4:03am for Chapter 4: Tamer

Please publish an honest and comprehensive answer list to the Mary Sue Litmus Test, because currently you fail, completely and utterly. A sister of Hermione Granger who just happens to be old enough to marry Remus Lupin, and instead of dating and falling in love like normal people Fate makes them "soul bond" in a single day? And she is a muggle who miraculously cures his Lycantrophy, of all things convenient. I'll eat my hat if she doesn't look exactly like the author only cuter.

bookworm914 posted a comment on Saturday 16th May 2009 1:18pm for Chapter 4: Tamer

The internal monologues are wonderful. The story flows quickly, but the switch between narration and monologue acts as a variation of pacing and tone, so it doesn't get dull the way straight narration does.
She makes him not a crazy werewolf - that's a much more important reading of that line from the prophecy.
This "share our complete set of memories while we sleep" bit is kind of far-fetched. I guess that's signed-up-for in reading fanfic of a magical world. But it rather cheapens the romance - they don't have to get to know each other, and we don't get to know them, before they can be hopelessly in love. But I suppose it's going to be useful by allowing the plot to move forward?

Rob-girl posted a comment on Saturday 26th July 2008 9:10pm for Chapter 4: Tamer

I liked this chapter, but I couldn't tell if that last part was part of a dream, or if it was real. Could you let me know?

Minerva Granger posted a comment on Tuesday 11th March 2008 1:00pm for Chapter 4: Tamer

And I was wondering when they'd figure the 'red that's orange' part out! I've read this many times, but it always seems so obvious to me. Then again, details in stories always seem more obvious to the readers than to the participants.

CodeRomance posted a comment on Wednesday 16th January 2008 3:45pm for Chapter 4: Tamer

wait so did they get married or is that actually a dream?

CodeRomance

Cresent-moon Winterchild posted a comment on Wednesday 9th January 2008 2:45pm for Chapter 4: Tamer

Danger is so Mary-Sue. Now before you whinge at me that she's not, lets first take a test composed by dethtyl to determin whether or not she is.

Names:
-Character is named after the author. - not that i know of
-Character's name is teh cool. - yes
-Character's name requires a pronunciation guide. - no
-Character has a cool nickname. - yes
Image is Everything:
-Is character extremely beautiful? - other characters say so.
-Does the hair take more than two or three sentences to describe? - no
-Are any and all nearby members of the opposite gender rendered into blithering idiots by this character's mere presence? - slightly

All So Tragic:
Is character hiding a deep, dark secret? (One point for each deep, dark secret.) - not so far, but being a muggle witch could be one to certain people.
Does it involve being not entirely human? - no
Not human at all? - no
Does nobody understand the character? - no
Is there severe tragedy in the character's background? (This is a little more lenient, given that Voldemort killed a lot of people.) - yes, both parents killed. result magic powers.

Enter Stage Left:
-Is character related to any major canon character? - yes, Hermionie
-Has the character been referenced at all in the canon? - no, OC = MS
-Is character a transfer student from another school?- No
-Add another two points if it's from America, just for the cliche factor.
-Is character's appearance highly convenient to the plot? - slight

Deus Ex Machina:
Does the character possess the following?
-Extraordinary magical powers? (e.g., wandless magic) - yes
-Extra-magical powers? (e.g., psychic abilities, Parseltongue, Metamorph) - yes
-Animagus? - later on
-Resistance to Unforgiveable Curses? - no
-Unmatched dueling skills? - no
-Convenient connections, whether political, media, or other. Basically, is the character "people who knows people"? - no
-Do these connections serve a vital function in advancing the plot? - no

I could go on, but I think you get the idea. Now then, just because a character possesses a few or many of these traits does not automatically tag them as an MS. A skilled writer can take a character with lots of MS traits and write it well. A general rule of thumb is that the more traits the character has, the higher the skill of the writer needs to be. On the other hand, it's possible for a character to have only a few of these traits and be written so poorly that it comes across as completely offensive.

You my dear have written her so bad it comes across as highly offensive.
Sincerly,
J.

Anne B. Walsh replied:

Close button's in the upper right corner, Back is in the upper left. Don't let the window hit you in the fanny on the way out.

Also: "Crescent", "determine", "Hermione", "Unforgivable", and "sincerely". The word "let's" has an apostrophe in it, and the word "I" is always capitalized.

Wistful-Stargazer posted a comment on Monday 19th November 2007 4:24pm for Chapter 4: Tamer

:-D
A werewolf tamer...that is not something you see everyday on a person's resume'.
;-D

KingsleyforPM posted a comment on Monday 6th August 2007 7:55pm for Chapter 4: Tamer

whhhhhaaaattt?

Jim Starluck posted a comment on Thursday 22nd February 2007 6:19pm for Chapter 4: Tamer

She's off to see the wizard...



"The red in the poem," Remus said slowly. "The red that’s actually orange. Could that mean red hair?"

"You know, I think it could," Danger said, following his line of sight. "But that’s something to worry about tomorrow."



If by "tomorrow" you mean "nine years later," then yeah, sure. ;)

TxA_GunFighter posted a comment on Wednesday 2nd August 2006 2:25am for Chapter 4: Tamer

Outstanding.

gunny

Rebel Goddess posted a comment on Saturday 29th July 2006 10:08am for Chapter 4: Tamer

I'm British and I wanted to correct the odd reviewer (I read down beneath mine and was a bit shocked by their nastiness). Social Services can be good but I also know that they can fail horribly (I could list details but it would be a bit nasty for a simple review) and unless there is obvious signs of abuse and immediate the child is usually left with the family. Only if abuse is obvious and frequent are children automatically removed. (Sad but true.) I thought Harry's reaction was right. Small children tend to have strong, uncontrolled reactions and don't just whisper fears unless they were severely reprimanded for it before. As for nicknames: I know a tough boy nicknamed Bambi. Danger is nothing on what Brits can call each other. Finally: love the idea of werewolf tamer.

Sterling posted a comment on Sunday 4th June 2006 7:32pm for Chapter 4: Tamer

The romance between R/D happened way to quick and was way to contrived. I like your writing style though and you have a decent plot. I am just not fond of pre-packaged romances...just add water and stir. It shouldn't be that easy, even in a story.

Chris1 posted a comment on Sunday 26th March 2006 12:14am for Chapter 4: Tamer

I can't wait to see them wake up :D so I'm off to read :D

Wonderful writing!

Aberforth's Avatar posted a comment on Tuesday 14th February 2006 12:23pm for Chapter 4: Tamer

Hooked, hooked, hooked! Good thing there are lots of completed chapters. The idea of magic that tames werewolves is marvelous. The dream sequence here is wonderful, and really rings true as a basis for an accelerated courtship and the non-dream marriage that I sense must be on the near horizon.