Content Harry Potter Miscellaneous
  • Previous
  • Next

Chapter 8: Anomaly

So what did Minerva want? Danger asked Remus as they sat in the Gryffindor common room, half-listening to Sirius tell Harry how good a flyer he was.

That’s not very good for Harry, he really doesn’t need his head swelled, muttered Remus absently, looking intently at Sirius.

Are you listening to me?

What?

Never mind, that answers my question. And if you’re trying to give Sirius the Look of Doom, it’s not going to work.

Why not?

It’s limited to females.

Now that’s sexist.

Sexist but true. Watch. Danger fixed her eyes on Sirius.

"... but the way you dodged that thing for so long, it was incredible, Harry..." Sirius trailed off. "What?" he asked Danger uneasily.

"I concede," said Remus, giving Danger a courteous half-bow.

Danger smiled sweetly. "You always do."

The cubs looked resigned. Ron and Neville looked at each other in confusion. Sirius rolled his eyes, and Aletha sighed. "You two," she said in a highly tolerant tone of voice. "How are classes coming, everyone?"

Hermione, who had been collapsed in her chair with an expression of deadly boredom, perked up immediately at this. The boys slumped almost as one.

So what were you saying? asked Remus as Hermione began a high-speed monologue on how much she was learning.

I was asking what Minerva McGonagall had to tell you before the Quidditch match.

Ah, yes. It seems that Lucius Malfoy isn’t the only person Wormtail told about my... condition. A wizard by the name of Patroclus Nott also knows about it. And he told his offspring.

That being one Theodore Nott?

Yes. And young Nott used this information, or tried to use it, to blackmail Harry and the others out of the dorm at midnight.

What happened?

Somehow or other, they turned it around on him — got him to show up and didn’t go themselves — while telling Minerva about it. She took twenty points from Slytherin, as I understand it.

All right...

She also wished us to know that she has, as she put it, "removed the threat."

She... Danger trailed off as she saw the meaning in Remus’ mind. Oh.

Yes.

We owe her even more now, don’t we.

Yes. That wasn’t just bending the rules — that was breaking the law. Only Aurors or qualified Obliviators are supposed to use Memory Charms, and only under certain circumstances. And almost never on a minor.

Is there any chance of her getting caught for this?

Not much. Not unless the elder Nott figures out what happened, which seems unlikely. After all, Theodore could have just forgot it on his own.

I hope you’re right.

You know I’m right. I’m always right.

Now whose head is swelled? Braggart.

Nitpicker.

Stuck-up.

Nosey.

Man.

Woman.

And don’t you forget it.

xXxXx

Harry pulled Padfoot and Moony aside before they left.

"Why doesn’t the Map show what’s behind the locked door on the third floor?" he asked without preamble.

"Because we told it not to," answered Moony just as directly.

"Why?"

"Because the door’s locked for a reason, and we didn’t want you lot going exploring," said Padfoot. "You have better things to do, like Quidditch practice."

"Do you know what’s behind the door?" asked Moony.

"Big three-headed dog."

Padfoot sighed. "Do I even want to know?"

"If you don’t, I do. How did you find out, Harry?"

"Draco and Hermione found out on Halloween. They got lost up there and heard Professor Quirrell nearly getting his leg bitten off — Snape had to save him."

"Quirrell nearly getting his leg bitten off?" Padfoot exchanged a puzzled look with Moony. "What was Quirrell doing there in the first place?"

"Don’t know. After Snape took Quirrell down to the hospital wing, Draco had a look through the keyhole and saw the dog."

"So, technically, he didn’t break any rules," said Moony, rolling his eyes. "Remind me again why we raised them Marauders, Padfoot?"

"Because we didn’t know any other way to raise them?"

"That might be it. Harry, please don’t go messing around with that door. What’s behind it is none of your concern, none of any of our concern really. It’s..." The Pack-fathers exchanged another look, one Harry knew. It was the "how much are we going to tell him" look.

"Sirius, go bother the girls," said Moony finally.

"Yes, sir," said Padfoot promptly, saluting. He winked at Harry as he left.

"This is more than a den-secret, Harry," said Moony quietly, bending close to him. "This is an alpha male secret. You’re to tell no one. Absolutely no one. Is that clear?"

Harry nodded. "Yes, sir."

"There is a very precious object behind that door. It was in danger of being stolen where it was, therefore it was moved to Hogwarts. A series of enchantments and magical safeguards have been placed on it. I helped with the safeguarding — the whole Pack did — and I can tell you with some surety that I doubt anyone living today could break through all of them. The object behind that door is as safe as magic can make it. It is not your problem, and you are not to make it so. Do you understand?"

"Yes, sir."

"This is not common knowledge, Harry. If it becomes so, I will know where it came from, and you will think you got off lightly the day you filled the sugar bowl with salt. So keep your mouth closed. Not even your alpha female can know this."

Harry frowned. "I don’t have an alpha female."

"Yes, you do. Hermione’s your alpha female."

"What? I’m not being mates with Hermione! That’s just gross!"

"Oh — no, no, you misunderstood," said Moony, laughing slightly. "I didn’t mean it that way. The rules are different for a cubs’ Pack. Hermione’s your alpha female because she’s your sister. When you get old enough for mate-choosing, then your Pack will reorganize, and then your alpha female will be your mate."

Harry wiped his forehead exaggeratedly. "Phew. That was weird."

"Do you have any prospects in mind?" inquired Moony blandly.

"For what?"

"Choosing a mate."

Harry looked at his Pack-father oddly. "No."

Moony shrugged. "I just thought I’d ask."

Harry scowled, recognizing the little smile Moony was wearing. It was the "I know something you don’t and I’m not going to tell you what it is" smile.

I hate it when he does that.

xXxXx

"When do you lot have Defense?" asked Fred at lunch on Tuesday, dropping into a seat beside Harry.

"Thursday mornings. Why?"

"We had Quirrell this morning," said George, sitting down on the other side of the table. "He said Lockhart’s s-s-sick." He imitated Quirrell’s stutter tellingly.

"Did he say what was wrong with him?" asked Hermione worriedly.

"Hope it’s something bad," said Ron. "Then maybe he’ll still be out on Thursday."

"Ron, that’s awful!"

"You said yourself you wanted a lesson with Quirrell," Draco reminded her. "In the letter we wrote home, remember?"

"I did not."

"You did so."

"I was just agreeing with Harry to be polite," said Hermione frostily. "I never actually meant it."

The noise at the Gryffindor table turned quite a few heads through the Great Hall, but most of them turned back to their food when they saw it was just a bunch of people laughing.

xXxXx

Sadly, Lockhart was fully recovered by Thursday. He arrived at breakfast beaming, and publicly thanked the forty-seven people who’d sent him get-well cards, mentioning Hermione by name, causing her to spill her corn flakes down her front so that she had to go back to the dormitory and change her robes.

Lockhart had cut back on reenacting bits from his books after the incident with Neville and the wig, for which everyone was grateful, Harry most of all — it meant he’d only be humiliated once every few classes, instead of every single time. But it seemed nothing could stop Lockhart from reading his own work aloud, in a highly declamatory tone, and the bulk of every class consisted of this.

Luckily, the stack created by Harry’s and Ron’s books combined was tall enough that they could nap on their desk during class and Lockhart never noticed. Harry stayed awake just long enough to register that today’s book was Holidays with Hags before drifting off.

He was awakened only a moment later by Hermione poking him with her quill.

"You’re being rude," she hissed, looking highly annoyed.

"Hermione, Lockhart doesn’t care," said Ron sleepily from beyond Harry. "Why should you?"

"I think she fancies him," said Draco from the table behind them.

"I do not fancy him," said Hermione with dignity.

"Then lay off and let us sleep," said Harry, adjusting himself on the desk.

Hermione scowled. "I’m not letting you copy my notes," she warned.

"Why would we need to?" asked Ron with a huge yawn. "He never gives tests anyway." His eyes closed, and Harry’s did the same a moment later.

"We’ll be spending the rest of the term on Holidays with Hags," Lockhart announced when the bell rang. "Then, next term, we’ll start on Wanderings with Werewolves."

"We knew more about werewolves when we were five than he does now," Draco muttered to Harry as they left class.

"We had a bit of an advantage, you know," Harry pointed out.

"True."

xXxXx

Andromeda arrived at the Den at four o’clock on Sunday, carrying a large black bag which fascinated Meghan. The girl kept trying to get a look inside it, until Andromeda finally removed a few breakable items and handed it over to her. "You can be my assistant later," she said. "For right now, why don’t you take that in the other room and look through it. See if you can identify any of the potions by looks alone. No tasting or smelling, some of them can be poisonous."

"Okay." Meghan hurried away, carrying the precious bag clutched to her chest.

Andy watched her go. "How much does she know about potions?" she asked.

"Probably as much as a lot of the first years at Hogwarts do," answered Aletha. "She’s hanging over my shoulder every time I’m at the cauldron — her and Draco, when he’s here, they won’t leave me alone. I think she may have memorized the Child’s Guide to Potions by now."

"No, that’s Hermione’s trick," said Sirius. "Meghan just knows exactly where to look for everything in it."

"And she’s going to get some help," said Aletha, rising, "as I have a feeling we’re not wanted here at the moment."

Andy shook her head. "Nonsense, you’re welcome to stay if you like."

"No, I think interviews go better if only the people who need to be there are there. We’ll be in the music room if you need us." Aletha towed an unresisting Sirius out of the room, making everyone chuckle.

"Life must be a great deal of fun, living with those two," said Andromeda.

"They tend to say the same about us," said Remus. "We’re ready when you are, Madam Healer."

"All right. We’ll start general — what can you tell me about the taming effect? How does it seem to work?"

The interview lasted nearly an hour, with occasional laughter breaks when someone cracked a joke too good to pass up. When Andy had satisfied her curiosity verbally, she called Meghan in and had the girl give her a variety of potions, some of which she asked Remus and Danger to drink, some of which she applied to their skin, and one of which she got them to spit into, making Meghan giggle.

"And, if it’s not asking too much, I’d like to take some samples," Andy said, putting the last of the potions back in her bag. "Blood, hair, that sort of thing."

The Lupins exchanged a glance; Remus nodded. "Fine with us," said Danger.

They adjourned to the main floor bathroom.

"I’m quite impressed with Meghan," commented Andy when everything was finished and she and the Pack-adults were sitting around with their tea. The object of the discussion had gone over to the Burrow to play. "Do you know, she gave me the correct potion I asked for every time?"

"Madam Pomfrey at Hogwarts is disappointed that Meghan won’t be coming for three more years," said Sirius. "I think her exact words were, ‘Finally, a child who’s more interested in what happens here than in how soon she can leave!’"

"You have to remember, though, Pearl’s never been a patient there yet," said Remus. "She’s not much fun when she’s the sick one."

"She’s too energetic usually to enjoy being stuck in bed," said Aletha with a sigh. "She’s like Harry that way. Hermione and Draco are easier to handle if they get a cold or something."

"And, of course, it’s Harry who’s already been to the hospital wing twice in his first term of school," Danger finished.

"All that energy has to go somewhere," said Sirius.

"Yes, but it doesn’t have to go into making trouble. He didn’t have to go looking for that troll."

"So he should just have let your little sister get pulverized?"

"The teachers were looking for it — they would have found it before it hurt her!"

"Are you willing to bet her life on that?"

Danger sat up straighter in indignation. Remus reached over and put a hand on her arm. Aletha reached around and tapped Sirius on the shoulder, pulling his attention to her. Both combatants glared at their spouses for a moment. The spouses glared back. After a moment, Sirius and Danger both slumped slightly, Sirius with a small groan and Danger with a sigh, and nodded to each other before relaxing.

"Fascinating," murmured Andy. "An unspoken language, indigenous to this family group."

"Now you sound like a scholar," said Sirius.

"I’m a research Healer. It’s much the same thing. And I should be going, Ted will be expecting me home for dinner." Andromeda got up and said her goodbyes. "I’ll have results from the tests on those samples in a few days," she told Remus and Danger on her way to the Floo. "I’ll owl you with them."

"All right, thanks." Danger, and the rest of the Pack, waved as Andy’s figure disappeared in the green flames.

"So, now to the important question," said Sirius. "What’s for our dinner?"

Danger folded her arms. "I think I’ve put up with quite enough from you for today." She pointed dramatically at Sirius, who shrank back slightly, then began checking himself over, patting at his body as if expecting to find portions of it on fire. Danger turned on her heel and walked out of the room.

"What did you do to him?" asked Aletha, falling into step with her friend.

"Nothing. But try getting him to believe that."

Aletha smiled, shaking her head. "You are wicked."

"You hadn’t figured that out yet?"

xXxXx

That night, nothing — or so it appeared — moved through the halls of Hogwarts.

I still don’t see why we didn’t do this last night, said Ron, fiddling with the loop of fine gold chain around his neck as he moved carefully in lockstep with the other boys down the hall.

Because they would have expected that, said Draco. They always expect you to do a prank on weekends.

This is the weekend.

One when you don’t have classes the next day.

Oh.

Shut up, said Harry absently, and stop.

The trio halted.

Map, please.

Draco handed it over. Harry activated it and lit his wand so they could see what was happening.

According to this, the Slytherin common room is two corridors that way, and there’s no teachers around. Mrs. Norris is the closest... thing that could get us in trouble, and she’s three floors away. Harry smiled predatorily at his brother and best friend. Gentlemen, I believe the Slytherins have a date with a bag of Paint Bombs.

xXxXx

Hermione was furious.

"I can’t believe you pulled a prank without me!"

"You were all busy with studying," protested Harry. "We kept asking you if you wanted to do something fun, and you kept telling us to go away."

"I didn’t know you meant that kind of fun!"

"What other kind of fun is there?" asked Draco.

"What’s wrong with Goyle?" said Neville, staring across the hall at the hulking Slytherin boy, whose face was abraded and red where it wasn’t green.

"Scourgify gone wrong," said Ron with certainty. "Fred and George look just like that when they’ve tried to clear up one of their messes on their own." He looked at another part of the Slytherin table. "Bet you anything Nott went to the hospital wing. He looks perfectly normal."

"Either that or he didn’t get hit with it," said Hermione. "They couldn’t all be in there — when’s all of Gryffindor house ever in the common room at the same time?"

"Parties?"

"All right, other than parties."

"After curfew but before bed?"

"Other than that too."

"When we get sent there?"

"Ron, will you just stop!"

Ron shrugged. "First she asks a question, then she yells at me for answering it," he said resignedly.

"Girls in general are hard to understand," said Harry. "Hermione more than most."

"Why?" asked Ron, facing away from the person under discussion and not noticing the look on her face.

Harry, however, noticed it quickly, and revamped his answer to mollify her. "Because, er, because she’s smart, and her brain’s more complicated than the rest of us."

Hermione subsided, looking satisfied.

Nice one, Draco mouthed at his brother.

xXxXx

On Wednesday morning, the phone at the Den rang. "I got it," called Aletha from the kitchen. "Hello? Oh, Andy, hi!"

A pause.

"Oh, good. Wait, is something wrong?"

Another pause.

"I don’t know, you just sound odd... yes, we’re free now. Yes, come right over. We’ll be expecting you." She hung up. "Andy says she’s finished with the tests," she said to Remus, who was standing in the kitchen doorway. "And she’s on her way over. She said something about an anomaly."

Remus grimaced slightly. "That’s the kind of word Healers use to mean ‘there’s something wrong with you and we don’t know what.’"

"No, she didn’t sound unhappy about it. Just... confused."

The Floo chimed. "And there she is now, I’m sure." Aletha hurried into the other room, where Danger had set aside her book to greet Andromeda. Sirius came downstairs from his writing room to say hello as well.

"Now, this one I think you should all be in on," said Andy when the greetings were finished. "If only because you live in such close proximity. May I ask an intrusive question?"

"That depends on what it is," answered Remus as the group found seats.

"How long do you plan to keep living like this?"

"All in the same house, you mean?"

Andromeda nodded.

The Pack glanced at one another. "We haven’t thought much about it, to tell you the truth," said Remus slowly. "We’re more or less used to each other by now, so we seem to have assumed that we’ll be maintaining the status quo for the foreseeable future. Is there some kind of health consideration we should know about?"

"No. Actually, it’s the opposite. There appears to be something you won’t have to worry about."

"Anything that creates less worry is fine with me," said Aletha frankly, as the rest of the Pack nodded.

"Do you want a drumroll?" asked Danger mischievously.

"No, thank you," said Andy, chuckling. "Remus — according to the tests I ran, you’re not a werewolf."

"For that, there should have been a drumroll," said Sirius after a moment of silence. "Personally, Andy, I’d say your tests have gone off the deep end — I know this bloke gets hairy on full moons."

"And how can I do that, since Harry’s at Hogwarts?" asked Remus mildly.

The women snickered. Sirius groaned. "That’s so terrible."

Remus raised an eyebrow. "This from the man who makes a pun on his own first name exactly once a year."

"Why once a year?" asked Andy curiously.

"Because we’ve told him that if he does it any more often than that, we’ll take him up a mountain and teach him how to fly without a broom," answered Aletha, poking her husband in the side.

"We’re a little off-topic, aren’t we?" asked Danger. "What kind of tests are we talking about here?"

"Not everyone bitten by a werewolf becomes a werewolf, you know. There are some standard tests we use to see if someone’s been infected — if their blood reacts with silver, for instance."

"And mine didn’t?"

"No. You wouldn’t know by any chance if you have the typical reaction to touching silver?"

Instead of answering, Remus held out his hand. Danger lifted a hand to one of her ears, then dropped something into her husband’s palm. He closed his hand around it for a moment, then picked it up with the fingers of his other hand.

"Well, it would seem not," said Andromeda, looking at what Remus was holding up.

"What is the typical reaction?" asked Sirius.

Remus returned Danger’s silver earring to her. "Something along the lines of a chemical burn," he said. "It has stages like burns too, doesn’t it? First degree and so on?"

Andromeda nodded. "Were you ever treated for it when you were younger? Before you two met?"

"I only had to get professional treatment once or twice. The other few times, a salve and a bandage worked just fine."

"But — weren’t you burnt every time you picked up a Sickle?" asked Aletha, confused.

Remus shook his head. "Sickles aren’t real silver. One of the only things werewolf advocacy groups ever managed to do. I think they made the changeover in the 1800’s. Every now and again, an old-style Sickle gets into the market, but since it hurts to touch one, if a werewolf did get hold of one, he’d be smart enough to handle the thing with gloves after his first touch."

"All right." Aletha frowned. "Weren’t we originally talking about something else? Something we didn’t have to worry about or some such?"

"Let me put it this way," said Andy. "If Remus doesn’t show up on the tests as a werewolf, I highly doubt he’s contagious."

The Pack nodded. "That’s good," said Danger. "We’ve always been careful on full moons, and we should continue to be, but now if this lunk just happens to scrape someone with a tooth, we don’t have to go out of our minds worrying."

"So I’m a lunk, am I? Where are you sleeping tonight?"

"Isn’t that my threat?"

"Further," said Andy quickly, "my samples from Danger had some interesting reactions to a few of my tests. Reactions very similar to those I get from the Wolfsbane Potion."

Danger nodded slowly. "I suppose that makes sense. It’s roughly the same thing happening, after all. I guess."

"You," said Remus firmly, pulling her to his side, "cannot be replaced by a potion, and don’t ever think you can."

Andy smiled. "I would, though, be interested," she said, "in a report of comparative experience. Only if you’re willing, of course, Remus, and I warn you, the stuff tastes awful."

Sirius looked at her oddly. "How do you know?"

"I volunteered to be part of the test group to be sure it didn’t kill ordinary people. It’s a bit like biting into an orange peel, except you have to swallow."

Sirius made a face. "Don’t bother, Moony," he advised. "You’ve got the better end of the deal already."

"How does it work?" Remus asked, ignoring Sirius, something at which he was quite good. "Would I have to take it in advance?"

"Our best results have been with two doses, one the day before the full moon and one the day of. I’d provide the potion, it wouldn’t cost you anything."

"Money’s not an issue," said Remus absently, eyes somewhat unfocused. Aletha knew this meant he was talking silently with Danger. Abruptly he came back to focus and looked at Andy. "I’ll do it. Only the once, but I will do it. Would this coming month be all right?"

"That’d be wonderful — have I mentioned lately how much I appreciate all that you’re willing to do for my stupid curiosity?"

Remus smiled. "You just did."

The conversation moved onto other topics, such as Dora’s Auror training and the cubs’ progress at Hogwarts. Andromeda was highly entertained by the revelation of the boys’ first prank. "Poor Narcissa," she said at one point. "She’s probably rolling over in her grave at the thought of her perfect little son pranking the Slytherin common room."

"No, I’ll tell you who’d really be horrified by where Draco is today," said Aletha, grinning. "Lucius Malfoy."

Sirius chuckled. "So true. So very true. I wonder how he is, off in Azkaban?"

"If we’re lucky, he’s dead, and we never have to worry about him again," said Remus. "But that seems unlikely, since we would have been notified, as his son’s legal guardians."

"Are all of you Draco’s guardians?" Andy asked.

Danger nodded. "We all signed the contract with Narcissa. Why?"

Andy looked uncertain. "I... don’t know if it would hold up in court," she said slowly. "Maybe if you argued that Narcy didn’t know."

"Didn’t know what?" asked Sirius.

"Didn’t know about Remus."

Various annoyed sounds erupted from the Pack.

"I feel stupid now," said Remus, rubbing his forehead as if to ward off a headache. "There’s no possible way I could be Draco’s legal guardian. We were lucky no one noticed that at the trial — good Lord, my signature on there might even invalidate the whole contract. We’re going to have to deal with that."

"Not necessarily," said Andy soothingly. "Even if the worst came to the worst and the court ordered the contract void and appointed a new guardian for Draco, think about the way the wizarding world works. Blood first and foremost. They’d send him to his closest living — and unimprisoned — blood relative."

Aletha smiled. "Who happens to be sitting in this room talking to us."

"Exactly. And then you two," Andy gestured to Sirius and Aletha, "could start proceedings to get his custody transferred back to you. I certainly wouldn’t fight you."

"Best case, it never even comes up," said Danger. "Why should it? There really isn’t anyone around who’s going to fight us. As long as everything stays the way it is, we’re safe."

"I’ve heard those words before," said Sirius, cocking his head as if he was trying to remember something. "When was it... oh, yes, 22 December, 1990. Remember that day?"

Danger rolled her eyes. "Not particularly. But point taken."

"Maybe, someday, if we get bored, we’ll become a test case," said Remus. "Either for Draco or Hermione."

"Hermione?" asked Andy.

"When Danger and I were married, she got Hermione’s custody transferred to both of us under Muggle law. We could see if the magical courts would uphold that."

"And, if they don’t, it’s no big deal," finished Danger. "They can’t bar me from living with my husband, or from taking care of my ward."

Aletha furrowed her brow, thinking. "The only thing is, they might be able to make a case about the child being in danger — and don’t even start, Gertie — and get something out of that. Especially with the other children living in this household. You have to admit, ‘Harry Potter Living in House with Werewolf’ sounds like a headline the Prophet would love to print."

"But no one who’d tell the press knows," said Sirius. "Well, other than Snape, and he knows what Dumbledore’d do to his greasy little arse if he told."

Remus and Danger shot each other a quick look. "There may be someone," said Remus quietly.

"Who?"

"Do you remember earlier this year, one of the cubs’ letters told us how a Slytherin boy was caught out of bed at midnight by Minerva and docked twenty points for it?"

"Yes — but what does that have to do with the price of puffskeins in Prague?"

Aletha punched Sirius on the arm. "You and your strange figures of speech."

"It matters because that boy was trying to blackmail Harry with the information that I am a werewolf."

Silence reigned for a moment.

"Who was it?" Aletha asked finally.

"Theodore Nott. Which means Patroclus Nott probably knows, since I can’t think of any other way an eleven-year-old boy could have found out."

Andy’s eyes narrowed. "I do not like Patroclus Nott," she said deliberately. "He is an odious little man with very shifty eyes." She smiled, and Aletha suddenly realized how much Sirius’ cousin resembled him. "And I have been looking for an excuse to do something illegal to him for years."

"Are you threatening to Obliviate Patroclus Nott, Healer Tonks?" asked Remus blandly.

"No." Andromeda’s smile widened. "I’m promising to."

Sirius leaned back in his chair with a sigh of contentment. "Andy," he said happily, "everyone needs a friend like you."

xXxXx

Dear everyone,

We think Snape suspects it was us who pranked the Slytherin common room — he took twenty points from Gryffindor during Potions today. We’re planning to get his quarters next. Any ideas?

I’m not involved in this. I want to go on record with that.

Oh, come off it, Neenie, you were mad at us when we went out without you.

Don’t call me that!

I’m not talking. I’m writing.

Don’t even write it! It’s demeaning!

Maybe I can actually get something written on my own letter while they fight.

Siss has been out of the dorm a lot lately. I think she may have been exploring the hallways on her own. I’m a little worried about her meeting Mrs. Norris, but Siss is fast and smart. She can take care of herself.

Wood’s finally started letting me work with the team on passing exercises and such. He was so ashamed that he didn’t see that I was in trouble during our first game that he’s been treating me like I’m made of china ever since. Fred and George keep asking me to "forget" practice so they can get some work done with the Bludgers, since Wood refuses to let them loose when I’m on the pitch. Maybe I should show him I can outfly a normal one. Any luck finding out why that one came after me like that?

Tell Meghan Neville says yes, he does. He’ll write her as usual on Tuesday, but he said she really sounded like she wanted to know right away.

Draco and Hermione are winding down, so I’m going to post this right away — they can write their own letters, I’m sick of them scribbling in mine. Looking forward to the Christmas holidays — I assume we’re taking the train home? Oh, and before I forget, can Ron come and stay with us? Mr. and Mrs. Weasley are going to visit Bill in Egypt.

With love,

Harry

P.S. If I drew caricatures of Snape and left them on his desk, would it bother him?

  • Previous
  • Next