Content Harry Potter Miscellaneous

Reviews

Nenya posted a comment on Friday 8th November 2013 5:04am for Chapter 15: Line, Bond, and Oath (Year 6)

I'm glad you directed us to this chapter; there's a lot I'd forgotten. 'Despair not when your dreams come true' indeed...I'm also now sure that Remus is the one who 'as his forebear wields a blade', so will face the choice outlined in the most recent prophecy.

Emily posted a comment on Saturday 6th April 2013 10:56pm for Chapter 15: Line, Bond, and Oath (Year 6)

I've been reading this story for a long time and I'm catching up on the chapters you've posted this year. (I love that there's so many!)

I have to admit that--I don't understand why you've made Alex a Hufflepuff? I mean, it fits him, but it almost seems to undermine the entire aspect of Slytherin House not being all bad if the only representative they've got up where the Founders are... wouldn't even be Sorted as a Slytherin and is only one due to blood? Like, I'm confused because it's as if the message I'm supposed to take away is that the only time Slytherins are good is when they're not actually Slytherins and that seems like a waste of a message after all the effort that's gone into showing how some of the students who are in Slytherin, like Blaise, are good. And I LOVE your writing so I'm wondering if it's something I'm missing and just not understanding?

I feel awful for not getting it but I'm super confused about that. It just kind of makes me feel super bad for the Slytherins because there's literally no one who is one of them to represent them where the Founders are and Alex can try but if he's a Hufflepuff, then he can't really represent them because he's not one of them in terms of actually being Sorted there.

Anne B. Walsh replied:

I thought about it a long time, and I do see your point, but I guess what I'm trying to get at is that ambition needs to be tempered and guided. It can't be the first and only thing in your life. In Alex's case, it's his loyalty to the causes he believes in, which is why he ended up studying under Hufflepuff. He has ambition -- he ended up as a demigod, didn't he? -- but he guides it with his principles. Hope this helps!

bgoldnyxnet posted a comment on Sunday 27th January 2013 10:05am for Chapter 15: Line, Bond, and Oath (Year 6)

Oh, I'm still reading. Not much to say about this, as it's mostly exposition (I'd say "infodump", but that is often seen as pejorative, while this was enjoyable). But I still check at least every week and read new chapters when they show up.

Wouldn't miss one!

Anne B. Walsh replied:

I can live with some infodumping. It's necessary at times.

Erika Shulkusky posted a comment on Friday 25th January 2013 4:02pm for Chapter 15: Line, Bond, and Oath (Year 6)

Hello Anne, it's been a while since I have had a chance to review, but I have been reading and enjoying the chapters. I would encourage you to keep at it, I really do enjoy them and look forward to new ones. These last 2 were basically interludes in the larger story and they have their place as it shows that the lives of these characters are not purely driven by the events in JKR's stories- these interludes give texture to the characters which kind of "fills in the blanks" of their lives. Nice touch incorporating the legend of Emrys/Merlin into the story, that was a fun little twisty.

So, keep writing, I will keep reading!

Thanks!

Erika

Anne B. Walsh replied:

Interweaving is always fun. More action soon!

cyrus posted a comment on Thursday 24th January 2013 12:00pm for Chapter 15: Line, Bond, and Oath (Year 6)

The founders' spouses wouldn't happen to be along the lines of snakepeople, sea captains, Terebinthians and dryads, would they? And wasn't there one named Hestia, as in, Professor Jones? Hmmmm....

Anne B. Walsh replied:

Well done!

Kathleen posted a comment on Monday 21st January 2013 10:32pm for Chapter 15: Line, Bond, and Oath (Year 6)

Oh, this finally gives me hope Draco won't die! I hope he doesn't. What a lovely chapter. I love visiting them again. You've made them so real, and so their own, that they seem like characters from your own book. I love it.

Anne B. Walsh replied:

Well, now they sort of are... see the author's note on the latest chapter. ;-)

jua-chan posted a comment on Monday 21st January 2013 7:37am for Chapter 15: Line, Bond, and Oath (Year 6)

Another chapter well done. This time it leaves me uterly confused (I keep trying to puzzle out the prophecy but this time I draw mostly blanks).

Another hint at that aweful event that has been foreshadowed for so long. god damit i want to know what happens ;) at the same time that would mean the story would be closer to ending.

Very well done and another hour of my life well spent. Good work.

Anne B. Walsh replied:

Sorry? I guess?

tangentsferret posted a comment on Sunday 20th January 2013 9:38am for Chapter 15: Line, Bond, and Oath (Year 6)

Hello! Thank you for writing more of this one! (Just woke up, so no promises on the quality of my thinking process.) OK, so "serpent's younger child" ... hm. No, they don't have to find that person, no they don't have to swear the Pack/Pride Oath with that person, but yes, that person has to be sworn. There is that other, sort of tertiary Pack/Pride (no, I can't remember which they called it right this second and I consider googling while solving mysteries set by an author to be cheating), the one that has, um, I think, Maya and What'shisface Pritchard (that boy that the Pride rescued from Hogsmeade, what WAS his name, Pritchard as a last name always makes me think of Caradog Pritchard from _The Grey King_ ... Graham? Yes, Graham.) But it can't be either of them because aren't they siblings and "child" is singular. And I can't remember who else is in that grouping right now. Hm. OK, mental note to watch out for the members of that other group. (Here the review was interrupted once by a particularly demanding cat demanding that I worship him, and then again by the other cat, who just sat on my mouse until I gave up and gave him his share of worship also. By then the Train of Thought has left the station and was far past recovering.)

Anne B. Walsh replied:

Ooh, I like that idea... may have to find a place to use it! And I know all about demanding cats. My Sesame is on my lap demanding pets right ntweo;.

Phil Boswell posted a comment on Sunday 20th January 2013 9:36am for Chapter 15: Line, Bond, and Oath (Year 6)

Interesting idea about the roads. Is it worth raising at this point that traditionally on maps "M" roads (i.e. motorways) are coloured blue while "A" roads (major roads not up to motorway standard) are coloured red?

Nice to get the real deal on the deep backstory, looking forward to seeing how it all pans out!

Anne B. Walsh replied:

That's fun! Didn't know it.

Anansii posted a comment on Sunday 20th January 2013 1:24am for Chapter 15: Line, Bond, and Oath (Year 6)

It's amazing how many questions you can answer while still adding more..

Meanwhile, back in the world I started for my D&D characters ages ago, magic ultimately derived from the Sidhe underhill (and had so soaked the land by now that anybody could do magic, though most never got past minor cantrips). There was also a bit of intermarriage now and then; now I'm wondering if something similar happened with the Founders. :) And for that matter, traditionally Merlin was half human, and half something else entirely. Since I'd as soon not encounter spoilers, don't tell me if I'm right, and don't tell me if I'm wrong, either.

Well done, awaiting the next chapter eagerly.

Anne B. Walsh replied:

Somewhat correct, but somewhat not. Check my other stories for ideas.

MLM97 posted a comment on Saturday 19th January 2013 7:03pm for Chapter 15: Line, Bond, and Oath (Year 6)

Blast your timing, Anne. :)

I was just about to go double-check those excerpts from <i>Nature's Nobility</i> and offer my interpretation of the last stanza of Danger's first prophecy, and you go ahead and confirm half of it. :)

But, for the record:

"When they who saved the savior twine The freshest blood with founders' line, Then has the age of hope begun, And peace comes to the man who won."

'Saved the savior' is Remus and Danger (who saved Harry); you've just confirmed 'founder's line' as Remus, and they don't get much fresher than the Grangers.

Now, other speculations:

--I think everyone may be thinking of the wrong dream coming true on that fifth line--we're about to hit the limit of time for Danger's original dream, although Arthur's not Minister of Magic yet.

--Draco Black will die. I'm not so sure that Reynard Lupin will not live on. :)

--Serpent's younger child? Judging from <i>Be Careful</i> and <i>Truth Amid the Lies</i>, my money's on Abigail Lupin.

Anne B. Walsh replied:

Actually, Remus isn't related to the Slytherins except by marriage. Nice try, though! (And I like your idea about Draco Black/Reynard Lupin... not correct, but fun!)

triciaelbl posted a comment on Saturday 19th January 2013 5:04pm for Chapter 15: Line, Bond, and Oath (Year 6)

Loved the chapter! I see all sorts of paths leading off from here, especially going back to telling the stories of the founders- very interesting! Not sure I understand all the geneologies there with the picture, I wish we could see it too.

Thanks, as always, for a delightful treat!

Anne B. Walsh replied:

Three lines of descent from the Beauvoi family. #1 leads to Draco. #2 was Alex's Heirs, now extinct. #3 leads to Remus. Clearer?

carolebear posted a comment on Saturday 19th January 2013 4:55pm for Chapter 15: Line, Bond, and Oath (Year 6)

I have so many thoughts and half-formed ideas running around in my brain that I can't make heads or tails of them. I love the prophesies and trying to decipher the clues is a favorite pasttime of mine. I got so frustrated, though, because I just know that there are things that I am missing that are staring me right in the face. It also drives me crazy when your characters talk about something obliquely, and I think I should know what is, but I can't quite figure it out.

I know this is not the right place, but if I don't ask now, I will never remember. Something is special about Hestia Jones, and at least one of the Pride knows, but the not knowing is one of those things that is driving me crazy! Should I have been able to puzzle it out myself, or is it something that will become clear in time?

I really want to reread everything right now, but RL is being a bear right now. Know that I do read everything and enjoy that you put out, even if I am not the best of reviewers right now.

Anne B. Walsh replied:

This is a fine place. Luna knows that something is interesting about Hestia Jones, and it will definitely become clear in time.

ccarter posted a comment on Saturday 19th January 2013 3:59pm for Chapter 15: Line, Bond, and Oath (Year 6)

Great chapter! I can often interpret the clues and see things coming, but Alex as a Hufflepuff never occured to me (I guess we can all get caught in the seemingly obvious and ignore all the other clues).

Anne B. Walsh replied:

Yeah, that just came to me one day and I almost snerked my tea.

frances posted a comment on Saturday 19th January 2013 2:46pm for Chapter 15: Line, Bond, and Oath (Year 6)

Really enjoyed this chapter! I hope we do get to hear more about the founders and their spouses later on!

Anne B. Walsh replied:

We definitely will.