Content Harry Potter Miscellaneous

Reviews

bgoldnyxnet posted a comment on Saturday 26th May 2012 10:23am for Chapter 60: Old Truths, New Beginnings (Year 6)

End it here? You've got to be kidding! We haven't found out what happens to Draco, what he could possibly do to get Luna to say she didn't love him. And, of course, how he will die, but everybody dies. Not everybody has the love of their life tell somebody she didn't love him, and mean it.

This has been a really excellent story, with just one flaw from my viewpoint: the dream sequences. You've made a lot of changes from canon: werewolf taming, true dreams, the threefold curse, the oath of the founders (and the whole founders business, for that matter), the chains, the blood-siblings (Hermione & Draco), the spell-breaking year, etc. All of that I had no trouble with.

But when you started having people go into dreams and make changes in the dream, which affected the outside world... somehow, that didn't work for me. It broke world for me, at least for the time I was reading that section. Or, as one old friend said, "It's supposed to be willing suspension of disbelief -- not hanging disbelief by the neck until dead."

Aside from that, good show. And for some reason I didn't get the significance of "...and blue" until it was revealed in the story. Oh well, can't guess them all.

oddlyalli posted a comment on Friday 16th September 2011 11:26am for Chapter 60: Old Truths, New Beginnings (Year 6)

I'm only reading this now because I was rereading DV for the first time this spring/summer and didn't want to mess with the flow of the storyline.

I can't yell, my dad's sleeping in the house. But HUZZAH! Great ending for this next-to-last book of DV; calm but with definite underlying excitement currents. Or maybe those are just from me.

I will most likely buy your first (full-time writing) book, seeing as you've been on my short favorite authors list for years. So, good luck; I wish you well in this new, probably somewhat scary section of your life. I'd like to follow in your footsteps someday.

Off to read the first chapter of your latest tricrossover! Yay, yay, yay, yay, yay, yay...

Zevi posted a comment on Monday 22nd August 2011 9:18pm for Chapter 60: Old Truths, New Beginnings (Year 6)

Good luck with your writing career. :)

(It can be very hard to make a step like this, so congratulations with being able to do it.)

And this book was great, so I am looking forward to more, both DV and originals. :)

renfro92w posted a comment on Saturday 30th July 2011 4:22am for Chapter 60: Old Truths, New Beginnings (Year 6)

Anne,
This was a wonderful end to a fantastic story! Of course I'm already eagerly looking forward to Surpassing Danger. You've created a wonderful alternate playground for Harry and the gang, and your original characters have depth and definitely hold their own with our established friends. All the best of luck on your original projects. If and when you do publish them, please make sure they're available on iBook Store or some other electronic format so that I can buy them and read them. Thanks very much for your dedication.
Sincerely,
Chris

Bialystoker posted a comment on Monday 18th July 2011 1:44pm for Chapter 60: Old Truths, New Beginnings (Year 6)

Good ending to FD. I like thoughtful Harry. :) I've really appreciated reading this story in the last year since I picked it up again - it's made all the difference to my Mondays.
Wishing you all the best with Surpassing Danger - can't wait for those few weeks to be over!

buffarama posted a comment on Wednesday 13th July 2011 1:14am for Chapter 60: Old Truths, New Beginnings (Year 6)

eeep! awwww x2 or 3, I lost count. hurrah for full time writing gig!

Carolyn Jinn posted a comment on Tuesday 12th July 2011 10:33am for Chapter 60: Old Truths, New Beginnings (Year 6)

Congratulations on becoming a full-time writer.

I am so glad that you are continuing with the DV story in Surpassing Danger. This story wouldn't seem finished without it.

You have tied up a couple of loose ends in this chapter well. I'm glad that Victor hadn't turned totally dark.

I will be staying tuned for all future exciting developments in both stories.

Looking forward to the start of the next 'Great Adventure', soon.

Rebel Goddess posted a comment on Monday 11th July 2011 4:58am for Chapter 60: Old Truths, New Beginnings (Year 6)

Excellent chapters. I liked how you dealt with Viktor, gave Ron a new way of seeing that won't stop him entirely and had Hermione sort herself out. Can't wait for Surpassing Danger.

PS - Lovely to hear that you've become a full time writer. The best of luck with it.

callie posted a comment on Monday 11th July 2011 12:15am for Chapter 60: Old Truths, New Beginnings (Year 6)

i read this last night on fanfiction.net but i wanted to reply on here...

very dramatic... krum is semi evil, ron can see infrared, and i belive evanie is now going to get pregnant judging from wormtails dream...
love it as always.. can't wait till the next one starts!!!!

star22 posted a comment on Sunday 10th July 2011 7:41pm for Chapter 60: Old Truths, New Beginnings (Year 6)

I've been trying to think of how to word this review. You are one of my favorite fanfic authors. Your AU is fascinating. It fits right in with the Harry Potter canon world and yet is different enough that every time you add a chapter it is a surprise. Your OCs fit right in alongside the canon characters we have come to love, and you've gotten the personalities of the canon characters down pat.

This chapter, though, is somewhat problematic. First off, making Victor a death eater is rather OOC. In an AU you can run with the characters and make things different, but you are still constrained by the characterizations of canon or you end up with characters who are themselves in name only. And the Victor we have in canon would not ever become a death eater. And the thing is, I don't even understand why you felt the need to make him one here. He isn't competition getting in the way of Ron and Hermione. Hermione no longer has feelings for him, and she is now with Ron.

What bothered me even more, though, was Ron's punishment. First off, attractiveness is subjective. There isn't anyone who is inherently more beautiful than anyone else. And the Victor we have in canon is someone who is attracted to people who aren't stereotypically beautiful and someone who cares for far more than a person's looks. But even beyond that, it is actually offensive to suggest that being attracted to someone who is stereotypically unattractive is a punishment.

I'm still excited about Surpassing Danger, and your fics are still among my favorites, but this chapter disappointed me quite a bit.

Anne B. Walsh replied:

Sorry that you didn't care for it, but this is how the story insisted on being written in this particular detail. (I never liked Krum, and always thought he was a bit pointless, so I guess this is how my weird brain makes him actually mean something.) As for attraction, I didn't mean to offend -- I was just trying to be bawdy with the inversion of abilities and desires, not to say that desires themselves will be altered. Hope I can do better next time.

Hot48cricket posted a comment on Sunday 10th July 2011 4:00pm for Chapter 60: Old Truths, New Beginnings (Year 6)

Congratulations on doing something you love full time!!!!

Hope you have a wonderful couple weeks off and look forward to Surpassing Danger....

Anne B. Walsh replied:

Yeah, now I just have to make it work!

Anansii posted a comment on Sunday 10th July 2011 2:50pm for Chapter 60: Old Truths, New Beginnings (Year 6)

Assuming the class of folks Viktor is not attracted to includes all other guys as well, I suspect he may wind up an anchorite. (I can see it all now - the seeker finally crawls to the little cave in the highest peak and has the wisdom revealed to him "Don't Annoy The Pack"... :)

Anyway, dang tooting the story ain't over yet. At the least after all that stuff with Draco, Lucius, Luna and the Phantom references you kept bugging us with earlier you'd better take THAT pistol down off the mantlepiece.

And good luck with the writing career!

Anne B. Walsh replied:

It wears off after a while, but he doesn't know that yet. Heck with pistols, my mantelpiece has a flipping cannon at this point!

daysoftheweek posted a comment on Sunday 10th July 2011 2:31pm for Chapter 60: Old Truths, New Beginnings (Year 6)

Lovely ending. I've been following your work since I first stumbled upon LwoD on FF.net and quickly realized that I should definitely go back and start at the beginning. Also, I feel like I missed something with Hermione's line "Ron, I know now, I know who it was in January". Can you tell me (or point me in the right direction to figure out) what she's talking about?

Best of luck in your full-time writing adventures!

Anne B. Walsh replied:

Start with Chapter 30 for the story of what happened to Hermione and the other girls over Christmas vacation...

BarnabusIII posted a comment on Sunday 10th July 2011 1:45pm for Chapter 60: Old Truths, New Beginnings (Year 6)

Congrats on your decision! Best of luck and I'll be looking forward to that first novel!

Anne B. Walsh replied:

I shall be working on it as fast as possible!

LeprechaunJV posted a comment on Sunday 10th July 2011 1:10pm for Chapter 60: Old Truths, New Beginnings (Year 6)

Excellent Chapter....... Beautiful ending. Well Danger is a mother to them...

Anne B. Walsh replied:

Aww, thanks. Yes, she certainly is.

LoneWolfe posted a comment on Sunday 10th July 2011 12:52pm for Chapter 60: Old Truths, New Beginnings (Year 6)

There are times I look back, and can't believe I've been following this series since LwD was posting. I still think it's brilliant, and I love every moment of it, as does my mother. I know I'm not always the best or most consistent reviewer, but I have read and reread the main DV quite often.

Anyway, I think your news is great, and despite the fact that I am a poor grad student, I will happily buy your work, whenever that happens to be. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in Surpassing Danger, and I love the way you've ended FD. I can't rave enough about it... and I can't wait to go home in August and bring this last chapter to my internet-illiterate, 65 year old mother. She's going to squee, I just know it.

Anne B. Walsh replied:

Having been a poor grad student myself, I plan to price my work very affordably. Think you can handle $3? And glad your mom likes it too -- it is my goal to have something for just about everybody in my stories.