Content Harry Potter Miscellaneous

Reviews

bgoldnyxnet posted a comment on Friday 23rd August 2013 3:46pm for Chapter 33: Rules of Combat (Arc 7)

I was thinking recently about the structure of the DV stories, rather than about individual chapters. The HP canon follows a classical paradigm: the young hero gradually loses or is cut off from his adult mentors, and has to learn to make his way in the world. That is why Rowling kills off first Sirius, then Dumbledore, then Mad-eye, Remus & Tonks, and even Harry's sometime nemesis, "Grumpy". The attack on The Burrow and various incidents at Grimmauld Place also contribute to this: No fixed address is safe for the trio, so they have to move around. This of course cuts them off from everybody who might help them -- their fellow Griffindors and some sympathetic Ravenclaws like Luna.

Literary critics discuss this in terms of social order. The hero is cast out (think the opening of OotP) or separated (DH) from the old social order. In order to accomplish his goals, he must forge a new social order that he can live with.

But the DV stories, so far, are the exact opposite. Instead of being cast out or separated from the old social order, Harry is part of a new social order that is gradually growing up under the nose of the old one. First the Pack, then the Pride, then a second, parallel Pride, and then the whole spell-breaking year with Sanctuary and the Red Shepherds. Sometimes this paradigm ends with a cataclysm -- a sudden violent change in the social or political order. Sometimes the author can sustain an ending in which everybody just looks around and discovers that things have changed without their even noticing.

Since Anne is pushing her e-books, I'm going to mention my wife's trilogy: Bloodslut, Wild Blood, and Aristo Blood. They are available on Amazon (Kindle or Trade Paperback version) and Barnes and Noble (Nook version). Use the "look inside" to read the start of the story and decide if you want to read more.

Anne B. Walsh replied:

Fun to think about, and a nod to what I want to do: give fictional nods to the reality of most people's lives. We have to live within our own social orders, and most of us won't lose our authority figures so early or so systematically...

Paxy posted a comment on Tuesday 20th August 2013 11:07pm for Chapter 33: Rules of Combat (Arc 7)

Hey, I just caught up to here after reading the whole thing. I love it! I'm really bad at writing reviews, but yeah... you rock!

-Paxy

Anne B. Walsh replied:

Thanks!

Dangams posted a comment on Saturday 10th August 2013 9:33am for Chapter 33: Rules of Combat (Arc 7)

Yes, awesome Pride are being awesome. (And very clever.) More soon please!

Also, I might have cheered somewhat at: "Find her," he said harshly. "Ask questions, work spells, do what you have to do, but find me Romilda Vane."

(Sorry for recent absences. Dissertation has been rather intense.)

Anne B. Walsh replied:

Completely understood! Get dissertation done first.

Scott M posted a comment on Sunday 4th August 2013 5:26pm for Chapter 33: Rules of Combat (Arc 7)

Whoops, that last was from Herbs - that's what I get for reading things so closely after one another. It's Clarissa's story I've read in Tales so far, which I'm also intrigued by. Fifteen seems to be developing several different off-shoots.

Anne B. Walsh replied:

Less off-shoots and more lots of characters who all have their own stories to tell.

Scott M posted a comment on Sunday 4th August 2013 5:22pm for Chapter 33: Rules of Combat (Arc 7)

I'm glad they're starting to work things out, though i'm sure more Bad Things will happen while they're dealing with it. Loved Harry's 'stalk' at the beginning of the chapter, once I realised what he was doing. At first I thought I'd skipped a scene somewhere, but it soon cleared up. I also liked Remus being alpha as they assign the teams, though I'm not sure how well Selena, Maya and co will actually manage on holding themselves in check.

In other news, I acquired, read through and enjoyed A Dinner of Herbs last night, and am getting started on Cat Tales as well. Yay for Heroines, and I'm glad Boj managed to avoid falling into Villainy, though that may or may not last.

Anne B. Walsh replied:

Yeah, no, Harry's just sneaking up on people. 'Tis fun. Glad you're enjoying herbs and cats!

jua-chan posted a comment on Sunday 28th July 2013 10:21am for Chapter 33: Rules of Combat (Arc 7)

Yay another chapter,

now that the hint has been spelled out it does make a lot of sence.

Using their horcrux dowsing technique with potiens peaces? Thats brilliant. I am also glad to see that Graham and Natalie are not giving up.

I do understand Selena being vengeful but hope that she won't do what i think she will do, mainly kill anyone who touched little Zach.

I think Danger is worrying to much. The Pride know that the Pack did the best they could and hopefully this preparation will allow everybody to survive the war.

Can't wait for the rescue.

Anne B. Walsh replied:

Danger is a mother. Worrying is what they do.

Face Toward the Dawn posted a comment on Saturday 27th July 2013 11:04pm for Chapter 33: Rules of Combat (Arc 7)

"Padfoot's latest literary effort, a book of short stories featuring dogs" This doesn't resemble 'Cat Tales' at all, no no no, of course not, why would I think that. "I suppose we should tell Percy whatever security he's been using about the Roads, it's still holding." Yay for good security And yay for Natalie and Graham! "I want them to have choices as much as you do, but that requires that they be alive to make them!" Yeah, let's get our priorities sorted out. "who'd have more personal onus against our side's Slytherins" I don't think onus is the word you want. It means burden of proof, as in, 'I'm guilty until proven innocent, the onus is on you to convince them I'm guilty.' I think you mean grudge or vendetta. Hey, the DE's took a page out of the Pack's book, they're kidnapping kids to raise them. "Can you do a search spell through these? Find Graham and Natalie's names?" Magical 'Find on this page' :D

Anne B. Walsh replied:

Hey, sneaky plugs are still plugs. Thanks for the word-pick. And wouldn't magical "find on this page" be awesome?

bgoldnyxnet posted a comment on Saturday 27th July 2013 11:08am for Chapter 33: Rules of Combat (Arc 7)

Here's another fine chapter you've gotten me into!

Anne B. Walsh replied:

Mwahaha.

AnnaTigg posted a comment on Saturday 27th July 2013 6:34am for Chapter 33: Rules of Combat (Arc 7)

What a great chapter (I feel I say this a lot, but it is true). Hurray for Hufflepuffs indeed. And for Graham and Natalie, plotting away. Can't wait to see what happens when the Prides/DA catch up with Ms Vane...

Anne B. Walsh replied:

Yeah. They are Not Happy.

buffarama posted a comment on Friday 26th July 2013 8:35pm for Chapter 33: Rules of Combat (Arc 7)

War! Selena or the other pride's gonna do something stupid, aren't they?

Anne B. Walsh replied:

Most likely.

Nenya posted a comment on Friday 26th July 2013 4:24pm for Chapter 33: Rules of Combat (Arc 7)

Yes! Go Prides! :D

I don't want to be on tissue standby, though. I really want this to come out well :(

Cracking chapter - the pacing was great, ramping up the tension in the planning scenes, broken up with that lovely moment between Graham and Natalie. Although I really, really hope that Natalie's fate isn't going to be the same one she suffers in Be Careful...

I'm currently holding off reading Cat Tales - not because there's anything wrong with it, but because I just lost my own cat, and all things moggy are making me sad at the moment. Will pick it up again soon and let you know what I thought :)

Anne B. Walsh replied:

Sorry to hear about your cat. We lost Bruce the Very Large Dog recently so I know the feeling. And no, sadly, of Natalie and Graham, it's the other half this time...