Content Harry Potter Miscellaneous
  • Previous
  • Next

Author Notes:

Disclaimer, disclaimer, if JKR wrote it, I didn't. Patrick Black, however, is mine... more or less!

From the desk of Patrick Black, Legendbreaker, Chronicler, and all-around awesome guy

The Prophecies of Gertrude "Danger" Granger-Lupin, with interpretation (and the occasional interpolation from the compiler)

From Living with Danger, Chapter 1:

Black to red and red to brown
Shall truly bring the darkness down.

Harry and Ginny, and Ron and Hermione, will be able to defeat Voldemort if they stay true to one another. (So true, so true. I know you haven't seen it yet in the mainline, but it's coming, and it should be pretty sweet.)

Find the red and find the rat
Whose cunning plot did catch no cat.

Wormtail is near something which has already been mentioned as red, namely, red-haired people, the Weasleys. (Why we couldn't have figured this one out a lot sooner than we did... but I suppose we're only human after all.)

Trust thy heart and try the grim,
And truth shall bring new life to him.

Remus should trust his instincts, which told him Sirius would never be a traitor (damn straight), and check the facts as would have been done at a trial (would've been nice). Once he's done this and acted on his findings, Aletha, whose name means "truth", will not only renew Sirius's life in terms of his happiness (holy God didn't she ever) but will also bear him a child (my very own personal Pearl).

The wolf that runs in brightest dark
Of fear in danger strikes no spark,
For she is maid of warrior soul,
And by her touch his mind is whole.

Danger is not afraid of Remus when he transforms (which is still freaky as hell to watch), because when they make physical contact, her soul is able to mitigate the werewolf curse which affects him by forcing it over both of them, sapping its power to the point where it can no longer control him (which was excellent for our Moony, in all possible ways, and remains excellent for John White).

When they who saved the savior twine
The freshest blood with founders' line,
Then has the age of hope begun,
And peace comes to the man who won.

Interpretation not yet known. (Not quite true, but I wouldn't want to spoil the ending for you...)


From Living with Danger, Chapter 12:

Little things the world will change,
Your lives and futures rearrange.
There shall be children twice times two
Before the storied year is through.

The Pack will have four cubs before the end of 1984. (The "storied year" being a reference to the novel of the same title, thus proving that our Chronicler is rather annoyingly well-read.)

The youngest comes before the last,
Before the swine her like is cast.

Meghan arrived before Draco, and her name means "pearl". (Biblical reference. See note above re: annoyingly well-read Chronicler.)

The truth shall bear her unto day,
The star will shine to light her way.

Aletha will give birth to Meghan, and Sirius will love her. (Never in doubt.)

Uneven will she match to brown,
But never'll she leave the town.

Meghan's brown-haired romantic partner, whose name means "town", will be older than she is, but she will be faithful to him nonetheless. (That god-awful pun with "never'll"... drop the R out of it and you'll get it. Still, I suppose I haven't got any room to talk about puns on names...)

There shall be children twice times two
Before the storied year is through.

See above. (Duh.)

Eyes of ashes, hair of sun,
A heart with paces never run,

The Pack's last cub will have grey eyes, blond hair, and not yet have learned to love. (All very true. Didn't take him long to cotton on, though.)

Salvation, justice, vengeance are
When flower gives the stars to star.

Narcissa giving Draco to Sirius will be Draco's salvation, justice on Lucius Malfoy for his intentions towards Harry, and the Pack's (and Cissy's) vengeance for Malfoy's intentions towards them all. (Talk about a triple threat! And all for no more work than we were already doing... well, maybe a bit more, but Fox was, and is, more than worth it. Not that I'd ever tell him so to his face.)

What warrior, earth, and pearl begin,
The moon's grey beams will finally win.

Harry, Hermione, and Meghan will start to open Draco's heart, which will finally be captured by a grey-eyed girl whose name means "moon". (And whose name now is Moon. Creativity points much, Phoebe?)

Little things the world will change,
Your lives and futures rearrange.

(Our Chronicler really likes stating the obvious sometimes, doesn't she?)


From Living with Danger, Chapter 18:

Fear no light; his haughty show
Shall by a flower be brought low.

Lucius will show off how proud he is, but will be brought down by Narcissa. (With a vengeance. Very, very nicely done, Cissy.)

The flower truly speaks, O star,
Though from your thoughts her words are far.

Sirius must believe Narcissa, even though he does not think she is telling the truth at first. (Well, come on, how much credence would you have been willing to put in that kind of conversion? Though I suppose, thinking about how I feel about the cubs, it does make sense.)

The truth and wolf, to play their part,
Hold in their hands keys to the heart
Which longs for that it does not feel,
And needs but time and care to heal.

Aletha and Remus, the musicians of the family, will be able to start winning Draco's trust with music, and he will eventually learn to love and become one of the Pack. (See note above. There's a reason Nima fangirled all over our Fox the first time they met...)


From Living with Danger, Chapter 20:

The flower plucks itself; it withers even now.

Narcissa has poisoned herself and will soon die. (Might've been nice to take her with us instead, but I don't know how well it would have worked. Maybe a thought to explore if we spot a tell trending in that direction, though... any Chroniclers out there willing to take on a challenge?)


From Living with Danger, Chapter 28:

Once a friend, and once a foe,
Your dwelling place has come to know,
A third shall come, invade your Den,
And you shall see it ne'er again.

McGonagall and Malfoy discovered the Den, but the Pack was able to return there afterwards. When a third person finds them out, they will not. (Trust old Grumpy to ruin everything. It's what he does best.)

Th'invader is well-known to all,
Nor friend nor foe you would him call,
And though the wolf defeat him may,
Still cubs, adults, must all away.

The person who will make the Pack leave their Den is someone they know, but are ambivalent about (putting it far more sweetly than I would have), and even if Remus defeats him (which he did—nicely done, sir), the Pack must go for their own safety.

Be answer to a lady's prayer,
The new world seek, feel no despair,
For only half a year shall fly
Ere you this isle again draw nigh.

The Pack should go to America to visit Aletha's Aunt Amy, who has asked them repeatedly to do so, and spend six months there before returning to England. (Which was a lot of fun, if a bit hectic. International travel with four small children... only recommended in dire emergencies. Trust me on this.)

A new Den make, in village small,
New names and faces give you all,

After adopting new identities, the Pack should settle in a small village. (Did I really need to put that? Ah well, better be consistent. If occasionally repetitive.)

Uphold the lonely one and find
A friend and helper, sharp of mind.

The cubs should befriend Ron Weasley, who is isolated because of his position in his family, and who will help them in their future endeavors. (Saved their lives a few times, he has... goes both ways, of course.)

The odd one of that family, too,
And moon-called friend join unto you,

They should also befriend Ginny, the only Weasley girl, and her friend Luna. (I don't believe they knew each other in the ridge, but it seems a bit odd that they're both female, magical, the same age, live that close to one another, and wouldn't have made friends. Still, I suppose that's why tells exist, isn't it?)

And thus the pack begins to meet
Which one day shall the dark defeat.

By befriending Ron, Ginny, and Luna, the cubs have begun to assemble the Pride, which will be necessary to defeat Voldemort. (Yeah, that was never a one-man job. Or a one-anything job, really. Slippery snake-faced bastard...)


From Living with Danger, Chapter 38:

The time of testing comes apace;
A time when every wolf must face
The greatest fear or dread he knows,
And pay a debt to one she owes.

On this day, all the Pack-members must face their greatest fears, and Danger must settle her debt to the Founders. (And if we're talking about sneaky... but it had to be done, or she and that werewolf of hers probably never would have sorted themselves out, mind-link or not.)

The only born cub must away
To first friend's home without delay,

Meghan should go to the Weasleys' immediately. (That's my Pearl, holding her head high, no matter what!)

The warrior will the others free
With change and help—still, they must flee.

Danger will alter the other cubs' forms to help them do their work, but they must also run away. (Headed the same place as Pearl, but they didn't know that yet.)

But first that magic must be done
Which takes the eight and makes them one—

The making of the Pack-pendants. (Useful little things.)

Take that which circles blood and flesh,
Yet has no bottom.

The wedding rings of the Pack-parents, and the rings the cubs wear around their necks. (Actually a reference to an ancient riddle. See above re: far too well-read Chronicler.)

Make it mesh
With blood from each, and then recite
The oath the warrior knows to write,
Which long ago was sworn by they
Whose hearts beat true in you today;

After giving of their blood to add to the rings, the Pack must swear the Founders' Oath, as written down by Danger, since they are the spiritual descendants of the Founders. (We sure try, at any rate.)

The singing of the fire's bird
Shall help remind her what she heard.

Danger will be reminded of the Oath, and her instructions, by Fawkes's phoenix song. (Phoenixes... what the hell can't they do?)

The testing time does quickly near;
It lies in you to conquer fear,
O lion-hearted wolf; so call
The wanderer home to save you all.

Remus must call Danger home so that he, as an untamed werewolf, will not maul the rest of the adults of the Pack. (Getting him put in with us was quite possibly the stupidest thing I've ever done. Its only redeeming quality is the fact that it worked.)

The eagle-hearted truth must give
The star the sound that helped him live,

Aletha must sing to Sirius, as she played to him long ago to bring him safely to shore. (Saved my sanity, she did. What there is of it.)

And royal stars will trust in him.
So life, not death, will bring this Grim.

Andromeda will trust Sirius, and he will bring life to the Pack. (See above re: stupidity and redeeming qualities. Thank God Danger was right, is all I can say!)

If then this night you can endure,
Upon the morrow is it sure
That hiding shall be done for aye,
And only one have cause to cry.

If the Pack can survive their night of trials, their hiding will be over forever, and only one person will be unhappy about the way things turn out. (That being Wormtail. Got about what he deserved all around, I think...)


Also from Living with Danger, Chapter 38:

Love that binds you, sisters, brothers,
Help you understand the others.

The Pack's cubs, and later those who are bound with them by the Oath, will be able to understand one another's silent speech. (Handy little trick, no?)

Seek the one whose cry you hear,
For where she is, your prey is near.

The older cubs must find Meghan, whom they will hear crying over their link, to find Wormtail. (Suppose that really should fall under the whole telling-us-twice ban, but I'm just as glad it didn't!)

Pack of seven, Pack-friends two,
Shall bring him unto justice true.

McGonagall and Hagrid will help the new Pack (minus Neville, but he was on his way) bring Wormtail to justice. (So very satisfying.)

And for to help you in this chase,
I give you each a hunter's face...

Danger will turn the cubs into animals, so that they can see Wormtail in his Animagus form. (And, incidentally, get them all excited to do Animagus themselves... which definitely changed the course of all our futures! Thanks a lot, sister mine... which is only about half-sarcastic...)


From Living with Danger, Chapter 50:

O warrior woman, tell the maid
Of fiery hair that if she wade
In tears so deep for all to see,
An alpha she will never be.

Danger must tell Ginny that if she keeps crying all the time, Harry won't like her, and she will never become the alpha of the Pride. (That's my Henry. Boy of sense. Weepy ladies are usually big trouble... that one ridge our Chronicler's working on finishing up being the exception to the rule, of course!)

His warty friend returned by Black,
The might-have-been completes the Pack,

Neville, who might have been the child named by the prophecy which ended up with Harry being marked, becomes the eighth of the "cubs' Pack", later called the Pride, when Meghan gives him back Trevor the toad. (I swear I have the only son-in-law in the universe whose how-we-met story starts "Well, I was just looking for my toad...")

And future dangers they will dare
Perhaps without their Danger there...

The cubs may soon be getting into trouble without the adults along for the ride. (Good God didn't they ever. We usually made it there in time to mitigate the worst of it, though. And there we have the first story, finished... I'll get to the other ones as soon as I can, but a certain Chronicler of ours is keeping us hopping with this new ridge of hers, and we're also watching over our own little tell and its own spins... hope you're all still reading!)

  • Previous
  • Next

Author Notes:

And I, of course, also hope so. Each mainverse story will get its own chapter here, so Living without Danger should be up fairly soon! And yes, Patrick is indeed telling you that there is a new Anne B. Walsh original in the works, and this time it is indeed based on the DV...