Content Harry Potter Miscellaneous
  • Previous
  • Next

A conspiracy of silence reigned in the Ministry of Magic on the subject of Bellatrix Lestrange.   The Aurors who took her to the holding cells and those who escorted her to her private trial were silent, as was the jury who decided her fate and the officials who recorded it.   Dementors, of course, were always silent.  

What a pity, the Aurors sighed to one another, that the Lestrange woman should have shattered both her arms so thoroughly with that fall.   And how awful that they had healed in such unnatural positions.   She might be able to feed herself, to keep herself marginally clean, but she would never again be able to produce the precise, definite movements necessary to use a wand.  

What a pity.

xXxXx

Neenie was squirming to get down from her mother’s arms almost as soon as they’d entered Camelot. "I wanna see Letha," she demanded.   "Harry come too."

"See Letha!" shouted Harry Potter, bouncing in Hermione’s father’s arms. "See Meghan!"

"Now, just you two wait," Rose Granger said, sharing a smile with David at the children’s impatience.   "We have to make sure Aletha’s not too busy right now.   Why don’t you go see Moony instead?   You can see Letha and Meghan in a minute."

"Yes," said Harry as David set him on the floor. "Come, Neenie!   See Moony!"

Hermione caught Harry’s hand in hers, and the two raced across the open floor, headed unerringly for the largest door on the other side, the one with the gold letters over it which read Potter Memorial Library.

"They never go anywhere slowly, do they?" said David, chuckling.   "Ah, to have that sort of energy again."

"We wouldn’t know what to do with it." Rose tucked her hand into her husband’s arm.   "And they obviously do."

They strolled slowly around the edge of the atrium, window-shopping as they went, until they reached the unassuming door.   Black Memorial Health Clinic, the sign read.   Magical and Muggle ailments.

A bell jingled as Rose pushed the door open, and a young woman looked up from her paperwork.   "Urgent or non-urgent?" she asked briskly.

"Non," David said.   "We’re just friends of the Healer, hoping to see her if she’s available..."

"I think she’s with the baby now, but I can check if you’d like."

"Yes, please do," Rose said.

The young witch rose and went behind the partition, returning in only a few seconds.   "She’ll be right out," she said with a smile before returning to her work.

True to the word, Aletha herself stepped around the partition a moment or two later, baby Meghan in her arms.   "I thought I heard your voices," she said, shifting Meghan to one arm so that she could shake David’s hand and return Rose’s hug.   "How are you?"

"We’re fine—what about you?"   Rose looked the younger woman over worriedly.   "How are you taking things?"

"As they come.   I’ll be in the building, Cassie," Aletha told her secretary.   "Send a message for me if anyone comes in."

"Of course, Healer Black."

"We haven’t seen you lately," David said as they stepped out into the quiet bustle of Camelot.   "Your letters are wonderful, but we’d hoped you’d come for a visit occasionally."

"Maybe a bit later."   Aletha sighed, relinquishing Meghan to Rose.   "I loved visiting your house, but it was always with Sirius that I was there.   I hope you understand, it isn’t you...I’ll gladly visit with you, here, or at my new place—you may not have known I’d moved, owling is convenient that way, since you don’t have to know exactly where to send the letter.   But just now, most things that remind me of Sirius hurt."

"I can understand that," Rose said, stroking Meghan’s cheek.   "Such a little beauty you have here."

"Yes, she’s one of the few things that doesn’t hurt to see."   Aletha smiled slightly.   "Or rather, she does in some ways, but the joys overcome the sorrows.   Remus as well, and his friend Peri.   We’ve seen each other through sorrows before, so it seems only natural to come closer together now with this."

"You mentioned in one of your letters…forgive me if this is painful, but I have to ask."   David pulled out a chair for Aletha to sit down.   "You think there’s a chance Sirius might not be dead?"

"There’s always a chance.   We never saw his body, or talked to anyone reliable who saw him die.   Loss of a finger doesn’t make him automatically dead."   Aletha accepted Meghan back from Rose.   "Part of me wishes that I did know he was dead," she said softly.   "Then it would be over.   I could grieve and go on.   But another part of me insists he might still be alive, and it’s wrong even to think of moving on when he could need my help."

David frowned.   "But if you don’t know where he is, or anything about it…"

"Don’t worry, I’m not about to run off on a crusade," said Aletha.   "For one thing, it’s only the craziest part of me that thinks that way.   Though if I got any evidence pointing towards his survival, I can’t say what I’d do.   As long as things continue as they have, I’ll stay where I am."   She looked down at the baby girl in her arms.   "I have responsibilities, after all."

"Yes, and we were terribly sorry to hear about Harry," said Rose.   "There’s nothing you can do?   No appeal?"

"Well, I suppose I could steal him, but they would know it was me."   Aletha’s lips quirked.   "I do have some legal claim to him, since I married his godfather, but it’s dubious at best.   Besides, now that Sirius is gone, his mother’s making it difficult for me to draw from his family vault.   She claims I’m not his legal wife, since we weren’t married magically, and I just don’t want to deal with the hassle.   Meghan and I can live comfortably on my salary as a Healer, but Harry would be stretching things."

"You sound like a woman trying to convince herself," Rose said softly.

"I am."   Aletha rocked Meghan gently, as the tiny face began to wrinkle in preparation for a fuss.   "But honestly, Rose, what else can I do?   I want Harry, but I don’t know if I can handle everything that comes with him.   I’m barely managing as it is—any appearance I may project of having myself together is just that, an appearance.   If I have to pick up one more thing, I think I may break down and cry."

"Then you’ve made the right decision," said David.   "Harry is safe enough where he is.   His relatives aren’t the friendliest of people, but your suggestion was a stroke of genius.   Petunia Dursley doesn’t dare do anything to him with Hermione there in the house as well, and she doesn’t charge nearly as much as the place where we used to send Neenie."

"You do know I was only joking when I said that."  

"Yes, we know, but it’s worked surprisingly well," David said.   "Hermione loves to be around Harry, and this is something we can do for you, to make up for all you did for us."

Aletha laughed.   "Well, as long as you’re not worried about her being bullied by the Dursleys’ great lump of a son…"

"She’s learning to handle herself," Rose said smugly.   "The last time he pulled her hair, she bit him."

"And Petunia still let her come back?   I am impressed."

"That was out on the playground, when Petunia wasn’t looking.   I settled it myself, with a judicious sweet or two."

"A dentist, handing out sweets.   Will wonders never cease."

"Sugar-free, of course," David said sanctimoniously.   "No cavities, no plaque, no taste."

"Thanks, I think I’ll pass."   Aletha began to undo a discreet flap on her blouse as Meghan’s face puckered again.   "So what else is new in your life?"

"Well, we have a new dog," Rose said.   "A stray, but a sweet creature.   A mixed breed, I think.   He certainly doesn’t fit any breed I’ve ever heard of."

"He’s brown, mid-sized, fairly short fur," David picked up.   "He simply showed up at our back door one night, and Neenie insisted we let him in.   By the time we’d finished feeding him and cleaning him up, she’d already named him Jump."

"Jump?"   Aletha chuckled.   "Not Jumper, just Jump?"

Rose chuckled as well.   "I asked her the same thing.   She got quite indignant and said, ‘Mummy, he’s not something to wear!’"  

"Well, then, here’s to Jump."   Aletha rearranged Meghan and her blouse, and the little girl’s burgeoning wail cut off before it got properly started.   "May he not fulfill his name too often for anyone’s comfort."

xXxXx

It was a quiet time in the library, quiet enough that the librarian could afford to take a few minutes and sit with two children, one on each side of him, reading aloud to them from a favorite book of his.   The little girl followed his finger with her eyes as he ran it under each line of text, and the little boy listened raptly, gazing from book to reader every so often.  

If I could only spend all my time doing this.   Or something like it.   If I could only have them for my own…

Remus chuckled inwardly at his silliness.   Why not wish for Sirius back as well, and for him and Aletha and Meghan to come along?   And Ray and Peri, of course?   Maybe even Lily and James, alive again.   If you’re wishing, might as well wish big.

Enough of this. Remus counted his blessings and came up with a goodly number.   He had the job here at Camelot, a job he enjoyed, and a job that paid real money, so that he didn’t have to worry about where his next meal was coming from, or how to repair the leak in the roof or the broken leg on the couch.   He missed Sirius terribly, but he had Aletha still, and Meghan.

The day she was born was the strangest mixture of wonderful and terrible I’ve ever felt.   It was a miracle to hold her and watch her open her eyes, but Sirius should have been there.

He wasn’t sure what he thought about Aletha’s half-belief that Sirius might still be alive.   It would be wonderful if he came back somehow, but realistically, if he is alive, the Death Eaters still have him.   Otherwise, he’d have been back here with us long ago.   Is it really right to hope for that?

But is it right to hope he’s dead?

"Moony, read more!" Neenie demanded, pulling at his sleeve.   "More now!"

"Peri come?" Harry asked.   "And Ray?"

"Maybe," Remus said, turning the page.   "If they can.   Here, why don’t you two look at the picture for a minute?"

Ray and Peri are the best, least complicated things in my life right now.   He smiled as he watched Harry and Hermione seriously discussing the illustration.   Not that that’s saying much.

Peri had agreed gladly to Remus’ idea about waiting when he had broached it a few days after the battle at Camelot.   "I’m flattered and grateful in equal measure," she’d told him shyly.   "I won’t try to dissuade you, exactly, but I will tell you that in my own opinion, I’m not worth that long a wait…"

"Then your own opinion, my very dear, is a load of dung," Remus had said bluntly.   "I love you, Pericula Grant, and as long as I know you love me back, I will wait as long as you need me to."

"In that case, I will tell you the truth, which is that I do love you back."   Peri had blushed rosy red, but her voice was steady.   "And that I am humbly grateful to have found you, since I can’t think of any other man—well, except one—who would have done this."

Remus laughed.   "Now I have to ask.   Who’s the one?"

"Someone I used to know, a long time ago," Peri said quietly, her eyes far away.   "No one you’ll ever meet, I’m afraid."

"I’m sorry."

"Don’t be.   He’s in a better place now."   Peri blinked rapidly, then turned to him, her smile going past the lower settings and lighting on high.   "And I am with you, which qualifies this as also a better place.   So, will you show me around your lovely library, Librarian Lupin?"

Remus returned to the present as Neenie set the book carefully on his lap.   "Done," she announced.   "Read more now."

"Please," Harry added quickly.  

"Because Harry was polite, I will read more," Remus said.   "Thank you, Harry."  

He found his place and started reading.   One wisp of thought drifted through his mind before he was engrossed once more in the story.

As long as no one finds out who shouldn’t, what we’re doing now could last us quite a while…

xXxXx

Harry Potter caught the tree limb in both his hands and planted his feet on the trunk, pulling himself up into his usual place and settling there comfortably.   "They still haven’t learned to hide properly," he commented to Hermione, two branches higher.

"All the better for us," Hermione said.   "Stay, Jump," she called down to the foot of the tree.

Jump the dog scratched his ear with his hind leg, then settled into place, his tail brushing back and forth idly along the ground.   He knew the routine as well as Harry or Hermione.  

"Where are they?" Harry asked, leaning back against the tree trunk.

Hermione peered out through the leaves.   "Usual places," she said.   "Behind bushes and such.   Waiting for us to come down."

"Why?" Harry shook his head in bewilderment.   "We’re eight years old now—you’re rising nine—and we’re not stupid.   We know they’re there.   And they know we know, or they should.   We never come down until they leave, or until a grownup comes looking for us.   Why do they still bother?"

"Because, Harry, you left out one important detail," Hermione said calmly, fishing the ever-present book out of her pocket.   "You said we weren’t stupid, and we’re not.   But they are."

"Good point."   Harry sighed.   "Well, at least your mum and dad know where to look when we don’t come home."

Home.   Harry’s mind flitted over the different meanings that word could have.   His tiny bedroom at number four, Privet Drive…the quiet, comfortable house at number seventeen…the cozy flat in London where Letha lived with Meghan…the smart semidetached nearby that he just remembered Moony moving into when Harry had been four…and, of course, the rooms and hallways of Camelot.

Camelot, he hummed. Camelot,

I know it sounds a bit bizarre…

Hermione began to sing.

But in Camelot, Camelot,

That’s how conditions are…

The rain must never fall till after sundown, a boy’s voice sang from the bottom of the tree, startling them both. Harry peered down, grinned, and picked up the next line.  

By eight the morning fog must disappear

Hermione tucked her book away again and began to clamber down, singing as she came.

In short, there’s simply not

Harry joined in.

A more congenial spot

The new voice made it a trio.

For happily-ever-aftering than here

In Camelot!

Harry dropped to the ground and shook Ray’s hand.   "Good to see you," he said.   "Does your dad know you’re here?"

"Does he ever?"   Ray hugged Hermione.   "Oh, no, now I’m dirty," he said in mock horror, shrinking back.   "I need to go get disinfected from all the muddy bloody germs."

"Harry, help!"   Hermione fell back against the tree, her hand on her heart.   "I’ve been attacked by his purebloodness!   It’s killing me!   Quick, get it away, get it away!"

Jump began to live up to his name, frisking around them and making more noise than both Ray and Hermione put together.   "She should have named you Bark," Harry said, grabbing the dog’s collar.   "Sit, Jump.   Sit."

Jump sat, but his whole back end wiggled as he watched a woman walking across the grass.   "Oh, all right," Harry said, letting Jump go.

Peri fended off Jump’s frenetic greeting and scratched around his ears, reducing him (as usual) to adoring bliss.   "So who’s for a trip to Camelot?" she asked, hugging Hermione with her free arm and waving at Harry.   "I’ve already checked with your parents, Neenie, it’s all right with them.   And I don’t think Harry’s relatives will mind."

"I don’t think they’ll notice," Harry said.   "Maybe if I didn’t come back tonight, but not until then.   Not unless somebody tells them."

"And nobody will," Ray said, rubbing Jump’s chest until the dog’s leg thumped against the ground.   "Peri chased off your cousin and his gang."

"A quick Muggle-repelling spell around this area, and they were gone," Peri said, bowing slightly.   "Thank you, thank you very much."

"So how are we getting there?" Hermione asked.   "The Knight Bus?"

"No, we’re going to drive," said Peri.   "I do drive, believe it or not.   And Remus said I could use his car when he wasn’t, and he Floos to work.   So Ray and I Flooed to his place and drove here."

"Do we have to go right away?" Harry asked.  

Peri frowned, thinking.   "Well, we’re not on any particular timetable, except that we all need to be home in time to eat dinner.   But that’s a flexible concept for Ray and me, and I expect your parents will wait for you two, Hermione."

Hermione nodded.   "Mum’s doing a roast," she said.   "It can wait a while after it’s done."

"So no, we don’t have to go right away," Peri finished.   "Why do you ask?"

Harry grinned.   "Because there’s something I want to do.   TAG!"   He slapped Ray on the shoulder and took off running.

The game lasted a good ten minutes, complete with all the screeching and shouting that games of tag usually involved, until Ray fell over Jump while running away from Peri and was slow to rise.   "I’m all right," he said breathlessly, waving everyone off.   "I just…my ankle hurts a little, that’s all.   Not like a sprain or anything, I think I just twisted it.   And I must have bumped my shoulder when I went down."

"Time for a nice cooldown walk," Peri stated.   "Straight to the car.   And then…"

"To Camelot!" the three children chorused.  

"Can Jump come?" Hermione asked, stroking her dog’s head.

"Well, all right."   Peri drew her wand and conjured a lead.   "Keep hold of him, though.   I’m not in a mood to pay for damages if he decides something looks tasty."

The dog licked his chops innocently.   "Yes, you," Peri said sternly to him.   "I happen to know for a fact you eat anything and everything.   Including flies, if you can catch them."

"Eww!" Ray laughed.   "He eats flies?"

"Snaps ‘em out of the air," Harry said, demonstrating with his hands.

The fivesome started towards the car, and if Ray was limping slightly, well, he’d played hard and fallen hard, it was no surprise that he was hurting a little.

xXxXx

Lucius Malfoy rose from his chair and stopped, surprised, at the sudden twinge of pain in his hip.

Odd.   I have felt something like this before…a long time ago…

Memory provided the appropriate time and place, and the action he had taken at that point.   He had meant to ask the Dark Lord for help, but the Dark Lord had fallen so soon after that, he had never had the chance…

Lucius swore under his breath.

My seven years are up.  

And unless he could find the person who had cast the curse, or some blood relative of theirs, and turn it back onto them, he and his family would die, slowly and in great pain.  

Which appeals to me no more than it did seven years ago.

He hurried towards his bedroom, disregarding further stabs of pain.   He would find out who had cast the curse—the signs could not be entirely gone, not when the curse itself was manifesting with such vigor—and he would turn it back so skillfully that there would be no removing it.

Suffer your own penalty, he thought viciously towards the yet-unknown caster.   Discover just how Light you really were, when it came down to cases…you scorn us for striking at children, and yet you struck at mine…

That was what truly galvanized him, what spurred him to action.  

Draco must not die of this.   My line must continue.  

And continue it shall.

This I swear.

  • Previous
  • Next

Author Notes:

A/N: So, a short chapter, but exciting, I think.   Anything not clear?   Let me know!