Content Harry Potter Miscellaneous

Reviews

Cresent-moon Winterchild posted a comment on Wednesday 9th January 2008 2:45pm

Danger is so Mary-Sue. Now before you whinge at me that she's not, lets first take a test composed by dethtyl to determin whether or not she is.

Names:
-Character is named after the author. - not that i know of
-Character's name is teh cool. - yes
-Character's name requires a pronunciation guide. - no
-Character has a cool nickname. - yes
Image is Everything:
-Is character extremely beautiful? - other characters say so.
-Does the hair take more than two or three sentences to describe? - no
-Are any and all nearby members of the opposite gender rendered into blithering idiots by this character's mere presence? - slightly

All So Tragic:
Is character hiding a deep, dark secret? (One point for each deep, dark secret.) - not so far, but being a muggle witch could be one to certain people.
Does it involve being not entirely human? - no
Not human at all? - no
Does nobody understand the character? - no
Is there severe tragedy in the character's background? (This is a little more lenient, given that Voldemort killed a lot of people.) - yes, both parents killed. result magic powers.

Enter Stage Left:
-Is character related to any major canon character? - yes, Hermionie
-Has the character been referenced at all in the canon? - no, OC = MS
-Is character a transfer student from another school?- No
-Add another two points if it's from America, just for the cliche factor.
-Is character's appearance highly convenient to the plot? - slight

Deus Ex Machina:
Does the character possess the following?
-Extraordinary magical powers? (e.g., wandless magic) - yes
-Extra-magical powers? (e.g., psychic abilities, Parseltongue, Metamorph) - yes
-Animagus? - later on
-Resistance to Unforgiveable Curses? - no
-Unmatched dueling skills? - no
-Convenient connections, whether political, media, or other. Basically, is the character "people who knows people"? - no
-Do these connections serve a vital function in advancing the plot? - no

I could go on, but I think you get the idea. Now then, just because a character possesses a few or many of these traits does not automatically tag them as an MS. A skilled writer can take a character with lots of MS traits and write it well. A general rule of thumb is that the more traits the character has, the higher the skill of the writer needs to be. On the other hand, it's possible for a character to have only a few of these traits and be written so poorly that it comes across as completely offensive.

You my dear have written her so bad it comes across as highly offensive.
Sincerly,
J.

Anne B. Walsh replied:

Close button's in the upper right corner, Back is in the upper left. Don't let the window hit you in the fanny on the way out.

Also: "Crescent", "determine", "Hermione", "Unforgivable", and "sincerely". The word "let's" has an apostrophe in it, and the word "I" is always capitalized.

Rose Aislin posted a comment on Thursday 3rd January 2008 9:51pm

This is an absolutely amazing fic.

I have to admit that I put off reading it - despite having heard it mentioned a few times - for quite a while. This, I confess, was partly due to the fact that I generally dislike fics which include OCs just so that Sirius and Remus can have relationships without being gay (which this fic does not, but I'll address that later). Secondly, for some reason, I mistakenly thought that I had read the beginning of this fic before, and while I enjoyed it, did not understand why this fic is often mentioned as one that simply must be read. I do not know which fic it was I confused with this one - or how. Perhaps that fic fit in with a summary of this one I read somewhere... without being anything like this actual fic, of course. Or perhaps it was something else. I have no admit, and I apologise for making such a grievous mistake. I am very glad to have read this fic now.

As to the OCs - Aletha and Danger. I have often read fics where the OCs are Mary Sue's, and the author is obviously infatuated with either or both Remus and Sirius. I have also read many where the OCs are included merely so that the two can have 'girlfriends' as if it is some fundamental rule of life that they simply *must* be involved with someone and cannot possibly be single - happy or otherwise. (As I much more closely resemble Danger - before she met Remus - in my dating life, this has always confused me).
Your OCs, however, I must applaud you for. They are well thought-out and rounded, 3D characters, who serve a purpose (which, if I remember my drama lessons right, is the fundamental rule for including any sort of character whatsoever, from a main character to the guy who delivers the mail - they must have a purpose of some sort). Without them, the story would not work, which to me, clearly shows that they are worthwhile characters. Something I find it hard for most to convince me of when they introduce OCs, but you have done so magnificently. Despite the fact that, at times, I have felt you have favoured Remus and Danger more, I have not, even once (except, perhaps, before even reading the fic, which is shameful prejudice on my part), considered them Mary Sues.

The length of the fic, as well, is quite nicely paced. I did not feel the need - which I often do, of skipping parts of the fic, which shows that each part was interesting and necessary to the overall plot in some way. I also didn't feel, at any time, that you were moving things along too quickly. So I congratulate you on your pacing.

The characterisation is also extremely well done, and I quite enjoyed the playful bantering that went on between the pack. It is much how I have always imagined the Marauders to interact, and was quite believable.

Which reminds me - the idea of secret Marauder hand signals is genius - I think I once read something similar but cannot remember the name of the fic. And may I take this chance to request permission to use the idea of hand signals should I ever (which I do not know if I ever will) write a Harry Potter fanfic of my own?

Basically, I just wanted to tell you how much I have enjoyed reading this fic and look forward to reading the others in the series.

Thankyou for sharing this wonderful fic with us.

-Rose Aislin.

runnerman87 posted a comment on Thursday 29th November 2007 6:34pm

Nice choice of literary references. I caught Othello and The Return of the King for certain, and I have a nagging feeling that there were a few others that I should have been able to place as well.

Anyway, I'm finding the story compelling so far, and I look forward to reading more of it (momentarily).

Wistful-Stargazer posted a comment on Friday 23rd November 2007 9:50pm

I loved you even more when the Healer put you in my arms (although I thought you might have had the decency not to start crying the second I touched you).


::chuckling:: love it!
...

The boys lay in the sun outside the Weasleys’ orchard, each ruminating silently on the beauties of the gorgeous things belonging to themHarry’s eleven inches, holly and phoenix feather, Ron’s fourteen inches, willow and unicorn tail hair, and Draco’s twelve and a half inches, hazel and dragon heartstring.

They could hear, from around the corner of the trees, Hermione’s voice, reading something aloud to the other girls from her favorite perch in the fork of one of the trees. Harry was sure that her eleven and three quarter inches of vine wood, containing one dragon heartstring, was safely tucked into her pocket, ready for anything.



::jaw hanging open, closing to change into a Cheshire Cat's Grin:: OMG, that sounds soooo suggestive, NAUGHTY! LOL
;-D

...

"I’ve got one," Harry said, still laughing.

"Ocean water, sky so true,

"Turn my sister’s hair bright blue."


A jet of light shot from the end of his wand and into the trees. There were several gasps and a little scream.

"Uh-oh," Draco said, staring at Harry’s wand.

"WHO DID THIS?" Hermione’s voice screamed.

"What do we do now?" Harry said in a panicked whisper.


~~~~~~~~~~

Update of Wedding Dream cub list

1. redhead boy (Ron Weasley)
2. redhead girl (Ginny Weasley)
3. black-haired young man (Harry Potter)
4. the girl with brown curls (Hermione Granger)
5. the youngest girl, who was dark-complexioned, (Meghan)
6. pale blond boy (Draco Malfoy)
7. brownish blond girl (Luna Lovegood)
8. brown-haired boy (Neville Longbottom)

The might-have-been completes the Pack



Excellent story, I can't wait to start reading the sequel tomorrow. :-D

Wistful-Stargazer posted a comment on Friday 23rd November 2007 8:27pm

Getting drunk tonight was sounding more appetizing by the minute.

*SNICKER*

Wistful-Stargazer posted a comment on Friday 23rd November 2007 8:00pm

— when she heard a faint buzzing sound.

Must be a bug in here. She picked up an old copy of the Daily Prophet and rolled it into a cylinder, eyeing the walls carefully. Ah, there it is.

The beetle was clinging to the wall near the window. It was rather large, hard to miss once you’d noticed it. Danger walked casually over to the cabinet nearest the window, keeping her eyes averted from the thing, then in one quick motion pivoted and struck.

The beetle slid to the floor, looking decidedly worse for wear. Danger scooped it up with the newspaper, opened the window, and tossed it out into the snow.


...

"Rita Skeeter is being in the hospital, ma’am, for having a broken leg and three crushed ribs and a concussion."

"Ouch," Sirius said with a wince. "Wonder what hit her."

"She is saying it was a newspaper," Kady said with a puzzled look. "But newspapers is not hurting people like that."

Aletha shrugged. "She’s probably confused from the concussion. Maybe she means a newspaper truck."



ROTFLMAO -- that is priceless, I love it!!!
;-D

Wistful-Stargazer posted a comment on Friday 23rd November 2007 7:59pm

— when she heard a faint buzzing sound.

Must be a bug in here. She picked up an old copy of the Daily Prophet and rolled it into a cylinder, eyeing the walls carefully. Ah, there it is.

The beetle was clinging to the wall near the window. It was rather large, hard to miss once you’d noticed it. Danger walked casually over to the cabinet nearest the window, keeping her eyes averted from the thing, then in one quick motion pivoted and struck.

The beetle slid to the floor, looking decidedly worse for wear. Danger scooped it up with the newspaper, opened the window, and tossed it out into the snow.


...
[]quote"Rita Skeeter is being in the hospital, ma’am, for having a broken leg and three crushed ribs and a concussion."

"Ouch," Sirius said with a wince. "Wonder what hit her."

"She is saying it was a newspaper," Kady said with a puzzled look. "But newspapers is not hurting people like that."

Aletha shrugged. "She’s probably confused from the concussion. Maybe she means a newspaper truck."

Wistful-Stargazer posted a comment on Friday 23rd November 2007 7:18pm

Loony Lovegood the Riddler, LOL *SNICKER*
;-D

Wistful-Stargazer posted a comment on Friday 23rd November 2007 6:47pm

Hip hip hurray!!!
;-D

Wistful-Stargazer posted a comment on Friday 23rd November 2007 6:17pm

::chuckling:: God bless us, everyone.
:P

Wistful-Stargazer posted a comment on Friday 23rd November 2007 5:48pm

Do me a favor, love? Remus said privately.

Anything.

Tell Andy, if she wants to, she can watch.



*SNICKER* Oh my, that sounds sooooo dirty. *SMIRK* ;D

Wistful-Stargazer posted a comment on Friday 23rd November 2007 5:16pm

Hmm, yet another unforseen twist...cool. Let's see where the next chapter takes us. =D

Wistful-Stargazer posted a comment on Friday 23rd November 2007 4:47pm

She chooses to go back and do everything the hard way to allow us to have a series...what a nice lady. *SMIRK* (I'm such a smartass.)
;-D

Wistful-Stargazer posted a comment on Friday 23rd November 2007 4:15pm

WEEEEE, it feels like a rollercoaster climbing to the top of a peak and getting ready to drop!
:-D

Wistful-Stargazer posted a comment on Friday 23rd November 2007 3:51pm

Eek, I hope that Andy can pull it together, before moonrise, to help Remus and Danger get together so that they can pull each other get through the darkness.

Wistful-Stargazer posted a comment on Friday 23rd November 2007 3:22pm

I was wrong. Moody instead of Snape, probably better this way considering what a selfish and inconsiderate arse he is regarding brewing the Wolfsbane Potion. How did Draco and Harry hurt their paws?

Wistful-Stargazer posted a comment on Friday 23rd November 2007 2:57pm

HUH? Ok, I'm officially confused.

I'll make an educated guess regarding the new arrival, I going with Professor Snape. Onward to chapter 39 to see if I'm correct.
;-D

Wistful-Stargazer posted a comment on Friday 23rd November 2007 2:22pm

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you...Slimy, toad-faced wench, the one we all love to hate, Delores Umbridge. LOL
;-P

Wistful-Stargazer posted a comment on Wednesday 21st November 2007 7:03pm

What sort of kniption-fit would Wormtail have had had he known that Sirius Black was in the house? LOL ;-P

Wistful-Stargazer posted a comment on Wednesday 21st November 2007 6:38pm

Cool story so far.

I know that I mentioned this before (was it back in the review for chapter 23?) that Hermione is actually 10 months older than Harry. During the first month of school, after her birthday, she is a year older than the rest of her class. I don't see any reason to have changed her age, because she could have been small for her age and have passed for being the same age as Harry.

[My kids are like that...my daughter was born 3 weeks early at 5 pounds 12.5 ounces and 21 inches, and she has been tiny ever since. She is 13 years old now, skinny as a rail, all legs, but is FINALLY starting to gain some height. My twin boys were 5 weeks early, one was 4 pounds 13 ounces, and the other 4 pounds 9 ounces, both about 18 inches. They were so tiny that I ate oranges that were bigger than their heads, their arms and legs were like pretzel rods and they didn't have butt cheeks yet, just the pink line. They are 8 years old now and are still tiny for their age, weighing 50 pounds each, and 4 foot tall now.]

Speaking from personal experience, it could be that Hermione is small for her age, but older than the boys, therefore making it unnecessary to have changed the year of her birth.

Or poetic license, I guess. :-I